1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some advice about Firefox

Discussion in 'General Security' started by telecom69, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

Its taken a while for me to convince myself to give Firefox a try,but I an doing so now,first impressions are that its a bit slower than IE, but that might be me not used to it yet ...my question is about the add-ons Ive seen mentioned,do I really need to get any? and if so which? will it work perfectly ok without any?

2. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

You are right, it is slower than IE. But only initially. That is because you have already waited for IE to load when you fired up your PC. If you open FF, then close it and open again, you will see the difference. Firefox browses faster. I have never seen IE perform as fast as FF on any PC.

It will work perfect without any add-ons.

If you load too many, it may cause conflicts.

The add-ons are for personal preference and functionality.

No-script stops scripts from running in the background. This is good for security and for speedier load times on some pages.

This one, my favorite, is for convenience:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=TSG&cat=all

There are many add-ons. Do you want weather info viewable at all times:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/398

You really need to browse them to see what there is and what you want, if any.

Tools>Add-Ons>Browse all Add-ons

3. telecom69

Thanks for that info RootbeaR, (y) it tells me all I want to know basically,and you were right its running faster now ...I really appreciate your help :)

4. hewee

hewee

What it took you this long to try Firefox?

Yep NoScript is a most have one. It will take you a little time to setup the trusted sites but once you go to all the sites you go to all the time and add them to the whitelist you can export the list so if you ever need to install it in another profile or computer you can import the list so your have it all setup for your trusted sites really fast ans easy.
    You can also check a box on the plugin tab to forbid java, flash etc so they will not load. Then if you want the flash to load you click the place holder and it reloads the page but will only so the flash inside that one place holder.
    There are so many others too.
    Get control of your cookies with cookie safe, Kill off goolge ads with CustomizeGoogle, Block ads with Adblock Plus.

5. telecom69

Thanks Harry for the advice and also the link, Guess I stayed with IE because I had always had it,it was like an old friend I suppose, but I had read so much about Firefox,I decided it was time I gave it a try,so I have ...incidentally I tried to add a couple of Smilies to this post but could not,then I saw scripts currently forbidden in the bottom left corner,maybe thats the reason ? anyway thanks again,truly appreciate your help .....

6. hewee

hewee

Your welcome. Firefox is safer and more easy to use so give it more time to get used to it.
    Yes noscript will block the java script you need to login, and do other things at the web sites. That is why I told you above to take the time to go to all the sites you always go to and get it setup and save the settings.
    I even helped someone setup noscript by emailing my list seeing lots of the same site we go to are the same. So that made it a little more easy for them to get started.
    But by blocking the java script to all other sites that noscript is blocking it will stop lots of cookies and other tracking that goes on too.
    It is so much more easy to deal with cookies too.
    I have it so all cookies are blocked by default.
    Then have the exceptions list with the sites I go to all the time and mark the sites Allow, Allow for Session, and then some are blocked but all other are blocked without getting added to the exceptions list.
    Then with cookie safe if I need a cookie to get something to work at a site I use the temp cookie that will be used and it will not get added to the exceptions list either.
    Even with SpywareBlaster I do not have any protection for firefox.
    But with firefox it is only protecting you on cookies but IE it needs to protect you on cookies and Active X. This is why firefox is safer to use.

7. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

If you click in that bottom corner(maybe r-click), a menu will open allowing you to allow scripts @ TSG always or allow temporarily. That's what hewee meant by going to all regular sites and setting it up. Yes , that is what was stopping the smileys'.

Not all your regular sites will necessitate this to be done.

You are very welcome. You will find no end to help here with FF.

8. hewee

hewee

Yes you click the NoScript down in the right corner and click "Allow techguy.org" and it adds it to the white list.
    You get the White list set up for all the sites you go to then you only need to go down there now and then when you at some site looking around that will not work. Then your also not that what site is in bold is what you should change first but only pick "Temporary allow site".

9. telecom69

Many thanks to you both for the further information (y)much appreciated,you see I got the smilies working again :D the more I use it,the more Im beginning to like it,its a refreshing change from years of IE ......

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

11. telecom69

Thanks a lot for your continued advice it helps a lot, really appreciate it (y):)

12. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I install Opera now and again to try it, but always end up uninstalling it because I simply do not use it.

I have IE7 installed only because I have to have it installed. I have ZA set to deny it internet access.

Firefox (V3) is what I use on both Vista and Ubuntu.

Here are the ways I customize Firefox.

13. hewee

hewee

Your like it telecom69. Plus get MozBackup to do backup and restore in case you ever need to restore something.
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
    I used it a lot learning how to deal with the way I deal with my cookies and I restore the cookies and start over and in about two days I had everything all set just right. But I block more cookies then most people do and even block cookies from site I need cookies but that gets tricky. You can look at the cookie manager and see all the cookies a site put there and at some site you only need to keep a about of the cookies so you can block the rest but you got to learn what ones to block. Once you block a cookie or more then one from a site your only see the site marked as block in the exceptions list so if you blocked a cookie you need you have to remove it from the block list and start over again. Like going to hotmail your get a ton of cookies from all over but you only need so many to login and the rest you can block. Now that site is harder to find out all the added cookies you can block but I blocked about 20 and I think I can block more but I stopped because there are so many.
    I use CookieCuller or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/82 to protect cookies I want to keep. Firefox cookie manager list you delete cookies but if you delete one and go opps I did not mean to do that it is to late. CookieCuller works the way netscape did till 7.x where if you delete a cookie from the cookie manage just click cancel and open the cookie manager back up and start over because it will not really delete any till you delete from the list and click OK. Plus you can never delete any of the protected cookies. I have CookieCuller icon on the toolbar and use it all the time. I use it to clear all cookies not protected befor going to another web site. This also clears all the session cookies so stops any tracking going on from sites.

Some add-ons will put a icon in the customize toolbar so right click the toolbar and click customize. Any of the icons you see there you can drag out to the toolbar. To undo any just drag them back.
    But you can get a lot of things listed in the menu and many your never use so I love Menu Editor or https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/710 that lets you hide what you don't want to use or see.

14. telecom69

Thanks Harry,great advice on the cookies,much appreciated :)

15. hewee

hewee

Your welcome telecom69.
    Your find out you have better control over cookies then with IE and even better when you change the setting around and or get the add-ons to help you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751843

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice