1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some advice regarding my current machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by H2DaN, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H2DaN

H2DaN Thread Starter

Hello guys, Ive had this machine for a quite a while, and I want to give it to my nephew since I got a new Laptop and Im not much of a gamer myself anymore. The current specs are as follows:

Foxconn G41MX 2.0
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 2.83Ghz
    2x1gb DDR2 800 Titan
    ATI Radeon HD2400 XT
    320 gb Western Digital Sata HD

It's currently running windows XP since I never upgraded to 7 because I don't think my RAM would behave properly with it. What I want to know is:

1.- Will installing windows 7 be an improvement in it's performance or not? (Someone told me 2gb RAM is not enough)
    2.- Does Directx 10 take up more resources than Directx9? Will it have a positive or negative impact on how it runs games?
    3.- Ive noticed some games are quite laggy, and they're not even recent, games like F.E.A.R. or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on medium-high. What do you think is holding it back? The RAM, the Processor? The GPU?
    4.- If it's the GPU which I suspect, which one do you recommend I get, so that he can play stuff like Modern Warfare 3 on low or something, a cheap one that doesnt require me to buy a new Power Supply (Mine is a generic 600w PS, doesnt even have a brand name for what Ive seen). I wouldn't mind getting a cheap GPU, and a friend is selling me an Nvidia 8400GS which only has like 2 weeks of use, is that a better one than the HD2400 XT?

I would appreciate if you solved some of these questions, my nephew is 12 but he's quite into FPS games, specially the COD series, im more of an RPG/MMORPG gamer, or was :D Thanks in advance and sorry but I don't know much about this stuff.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    1) It may be improve performance as the computer is easily spec'ed to run Windows 7, and a clean install of Windows tends to always improve system performance even if you were to wipe it out and install a clean copy of Windows XP. 2GB is definitely enough for Windows 7, but of course more is always better.

2) DX10 will render higher quality graphics and will put a higher load on the graphics card, but if the games are DX9 only then they will continue to run with DX9

3) Your graphics card is pretty date and not terribly powerful. The rest of the system is just OK. See here where your graphics card falls in terms of performance: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

4) The 8400GS is useless card, that's why your friend is selling it. You can see where it places in the same chart as above - hint: even lower.

A generic power supply might as well not even have a wattage rating - it'll be meaningless If the power supply isn't a name bran unit then don't bother upgrading to a modern graphics card until you can afford a proper power supply.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice