1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some advice: Safe Mode and Format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Byteman, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

1. Does formatting a hard drive, fairly new 20GB, more than once (first while containing programs, etc, again when empty) do any harm to a drive, or does it do anything more than the first formatting?

2. Have seen that there is a way to run CD drives in Safe Mode- would using this "patch" method do any harm to a DVD, a CDRW, or regular CDROM drive? Thanks people!

2. Anti-Intel

Anti-Intel

All formating does is prepare the herd disk for use by the operating system. It marks off sectors and tests them to make sure there are no bad sectors on the disk. If there are bad sectors then it will mark them so they will not be used.

As for your other question i do not think it would harm the drive running in safe mode.

3. cpuhack.com

cpuhack.com

Multiple (high-level) formats on an IDE drive will not intrinsically do any harm. A low-level format of an IDE drive can cause you problems. About the only harm you may experience on a high-level format is that it's a rather intensive operation...so...you're just putting your drive through the paces. ;-)

-Adam

4. slipe

slipe

I agree that formatting the HD multiple times does no harm.

I would have to see the patch for the CD drives. If it involves installing real mode drivers I would avoid doing it. Link the patch.

5. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten Thread Starter

Thank you everyone who replied- the formatting question seems to be taken care of. Have had to format some drives more than once due to stubborn software... or viruses....EZBIOS....errors. They always ended up in good condition, and are still running.
    The CDROM in Safe Mode question: I was curious about this, as I read material at the link below and other places that said it could be done, especially if you owned one of the mentioned CD drives that require real-mode drivers loaded in WINDOWS....some NEC, , and other drives must have this to run in Windows. I have come across a few older machines that would not detect the CDROM, no matter how it was jumpered, or info was entered in CMOS setup, like the Teac 55-D, and there was no function of these drives in Windows. The method to load these real mode drivers is from Microsoft, but it also says doing this can disable some things like IDE controllers....so, not too advisable to try this without, as it says, testing or knowing in advance that a certain drive needs this type of real mode driver. So, end of my curiosity- I did have to download a real mode driver for the Teac, and it did work again in Win95b, and the CDROM was detected and entry showed up as being on the Secondary IDE channel, no problem.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q151550

6. slipe

slipe

There is a big difference in loading real mode drivers for ancient drives that require them and screwing around with them as a “patch” to get normal CD-ROMs to work in safe mode. You have to do the first – don’t do the second.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/78918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice