1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some basic help with DVD's

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ottnmia, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ottnmia

ottnmia Thread Starter

I recently got a new computer which came with a DVD Burner. I have a few questions...

**It is important to note that I am NOT trying to rip or make copies of actual physical discs that I own (which seems to be what 99.9% of all of the advice online is about). I don't own any DVD's really, I am working with files I have on my hard drive, downloaded files***

First of all, is there a certain file type (ie: .avi, .mpeg, etc...) that I should be looking for that works best for burning DVDs? I know that when i used to burn audio discs there were a lot of different file types (ie: wav, mp3, etc..) but it was the mp3's that you needed to burn music discs for regular audio players. What filetype do i need to burn regular video discs to be played in regular (non computer related) DVD players?

Secondly, can anyone recommend any shareware that I can use to actually create/burn the DVD's after I have them physically downloaded on my machine? My DVD burner drive came standard on my HP machine, and so I woulda thought they would have included a burning software, but it appears they didn't. I have one that burns audio discs, but not video. Can anyone recommend a free (and very simple) program that can take downloaded files and burn them onto a blank DVD disc to be played on a standard DVD player?

Thank you VERY much in advance for any help you all have to offer. I have tried to find my answers online but have been running circles around ENDLESS information that seems to be focused on things MUCH more advanced than what I am looking for. I basically just want to take my downloaded movie files and put them on DVD's to be played on a television. Any advice? Thanks again! :)

2. leec0507

leec0507

I haven't burned any mpeg's to dvd for my home dvd player, but I have burned mpegs on to a cd and they play just fine. Avi's can't be played on home dvd players. The format that you will need is mpeg. If you have avi's that you would like to watch on your dvd player you would have to convert them to mpeg. - and if I'm not mistaken I think the correct format for dvd is mpeg2. For home dvd player's you will would probably have better luck using DVD-R media rather than dvd+r, dvd-r's are more compatible with home players. A very informative site is: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/ It has step by step guides and tells you about all the different types of programs to use for all sorts of different tasks.
    I use Nero burning software so I don't know of any simple free programs to burn dvd's with, but the link I provided should. I hope this helps a little.

3. bookime wood

bookime wood

Howdy

Pure DVD needs to be a .vob file it really is an mpeg2, but a file of mpeg2 will not burn as dvd, it needs to be converted, here is how to convert to .vob http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=200726&highlight=mpeg+to+dvd

As your files are already on your hd then skip step1+2

How big are your files? You know you can burn mpeg1 to vcd(use blank cd) and mpeg2 to svcd (use blank cd) you don't need a dvd burner, just use your cd-rw, if the files are under 700 mb or the size of your blank media then you will not need to split them and put them onto 2 blank discs, and if your lucky your stand alone dvd player will play vcd/svcd. Depending on the stand alone dvd player, sometimes a crack can be applied to allow the playing of vcd/svcd, if it won't do it right away.

regards

bookime

4. ottnmia

ottnmia Thread Starter

Once again I am completely blown away by how quick and usefull the advice you receive here is. This forum is absolutely wonderful! :)

Thank you very much, leec0507 and bookime, MOST appreciated! =)

5. ottnmia

ottnmia Thread Starter

bookime,

What kind of discs/media do I need to make those vcd discs from my mpeg videos?

I found a good video burner on my hard drive (finally!), and saw had to add a video (which was the mpeg file I had), i saved the job and then went to burn it.... it gave me the option of either DVD or VCD, so I picked the VCD you had mentioned. However when I told it to go ahead and burn the job it said that there was no media in there (even though there was a blank CD-R in there). Do I need a special kind of CD to create these VCDs?

Thanks again for your help, I feel I am right on the cusp of being able to finally do this! heh. (And by the way... it NEVER donned on me that standard DVD players could read CDs as well, and therefore as long as it's under 700MB you can just use CDs, that makes it a whole lot easier!).

Thanks in advance for your help. Take care. =)

6. leec0507

leec0507

I'm not really sure why it wouldn't recognize your cd-r disc because that is what I used for every vcd I make. What is your burning software called? Did you try it again or maybe there is an option where you select which format you want to burn to, ie: dvd or cd?

7. bookime wood

bookime wood

Howdy ottnmia

Any cd-r should work, as leec says what software are you using and give the model of your cd burner.

bookime

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice