1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some help guys.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AggAssault, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AggAssault

AggAssault Thread Starter

Ok, I am building a new PC in the next 2 weeks and am working on getting the parts ordered. I have chosen a AMD 64 x2 processor, and decided I want to try and get either 667/800 DDR2 ram. For the life of me I cannot choose a motherboard, or find one that fits exactly or close to what I need. Being that SLI is so expensive. I am not a huge gamer, but would like to have a good graphics card. Something that will run the new Conan game perhaps.

Can someone please help me find a motherboard that will fit these needs please, or offer some advice.

I need:

Either 1 or 2 PCI-E 16x
    Socket AM2 for AMD 64 x2
    4x240 pin connectors 667/800 Dual channel compatible
    SATA hookup
    Some form of integrated graphics until I can afford a nice vid card.

Budget, pre vid card, and pre 2GB of ram should be somewhere around 450$

Anyone know of a good board from Foxconn, or ASUS right off hand?

2. AggAssault

I want to try not to get an nvidia 6100/6150, I hear they overheat even when disabled. I might just have to get everything and hold it until I can afford a new SLI card.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

Avoid Foxconn, not of a quality level you want when building yourself.

Have you considered the Core 2 Duo? They're the current performance champ...

ASUS P5B + Intel E6600 would make a screamer for just about anything you want to do...

4. half

half

I build with ASUS boards, And find them rock solid. And use AMD processors. Never had a comeback

5. AggAssault

Yeah I have looked at them, I actually considered getting a pentium D 945. After looking at reviews it seemed the x2 was better.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

The AMD x2 would probably be better than the 9xx Pentium D. The Core 2 Duo, however, outperforms the x2.

This is in no way suggesting that the AMD is a BAD choice. Certainly nothing wrong with those.

Here's an excellent ASUS board for AMD AM2 platform:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131013

7. AggAssault

What would be a good board for the core 2 duo that supports SLI and DDR2 667/800?

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

9. AggAssault

Would I be sacrificing much by going with a board that doesnt have a SLI chipset in it? Or if I want Dual SLI cards, should I just go with AMD?

10. AggAssault

SLI cost so damn much money. It seems you have to prep your system with all perephrials in order to run it. PSupply, RAM, Chipset, 2 SLI cards, everything. Thats ridiculous. What ever happened to the ease of piggybacking the old voodoo cards lol?

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

I don't think SLI is really necessary. Some people (who are qualified to speak on the issue) call SLI a marketing gimmick. I can't say if that's true or not, but...

The 8800GTX's have been performing better than legacy SLI setups lately.

Plus you need to be looking at DX10. Today is the day for Vista, and DX10 is inevitable.

You can do SLI with Intel--look at the P5W by ASUS. The 975x chipset will support it.

12. AggAssault

Ok so say I get the Core 2 Duo. What sets them apart fro the AMD? As a dual core all I am looking for is about 4GHZ combined out of the box. Does the Layer 2 cache make that big of a difference?

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

I agree. Although an 8800GTX or GTS is an awfully expensive card. And they hog power like nobody knows...

You will need to invest in a solid power supply whether you go with SLI or not.

14. AggAssault

Im probably not gonna go SLI, I would like to have a nive Nvidia card, although I had planned on buying an antec case with atleast a 450W PS in it, 500W if I can find one cheap enough.

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

Post the case with the PSU before you buy it. MOST cases have crummy PSU's in them, but Antec's are OK. You can probably come close with a cheaper case and a different MFR of PSU.

Also, you'll need to pay less attention to wattage than to the specified amperage on the +12V rail. When powering video cards, that's the important part.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice