1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some help guys.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AggAssault, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AggAssault

AggAssault Thread Starter

So what would be an ideal amperage to run a PCI-E 16x 128 bit vid card? and a 256?

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

I would START at 450W--generally the better ones are at 18Amps or so on the +12V leg.. You'll still need to take another look at it when you select a video card to ensure the amperage is still there.

Look at PSU's by Antec, FSP, PC Power & Cooling, Sparkle, XClio, OCZ, Corsair...That gives you a range of prices and configurations to work from.

3. AggAssault

Cool, I was thinking of atleast a 450W. Main reason I am doing this is to kindof fututre proof it. I figure by going with the dual PCI-E 16x slots, the DDR2 800, and the AM2 socket especially leaves room for upgrades. I figure the AM2 will be around for a few years.

So basically here is what I am gonna get when the money comes in...

Proc: AMD Atlhon 64 X2 2.2Ghz Dual core
    Mobo: Gigabyte w/SLI 590 chipset
    RAM: 2x1GB corsair XMS2 ram w/heat spreaders
    HDD: 80GB 7200 rpm western digital SATA
    VID CARD: Goin cheap until Direct X 10 prices drop...http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143049

So how do you think that will run after assembled? I think it sounds like a pretty quick system.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Good call on the video card--a lot of people are using the 7600's as a placeholder until the dust settles with DX10.

I think this system will run very quickly. With that card, you'll be able to play any games that are currently available just fine.

Post links to the items before you pull the trigger if you want us to give it a final compatability check. Also see if Gigabyte has a qualified/tested vendor list for RAM. RAM compatability can be tricky with DDR2 800.

5. half

half

I always run Winstress on a new build to test to max

6. AggAssault

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128011
    Proc: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103741
    RAM: Could someone advice, I want atleast 2 GB dual channel DDR2 800
    Vid Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143049
    HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822135106
    PSU: to be determined.

Could someone please run compatibility test on these real fast, and advice about RAM, and a cheap dual 12v PSU?

Thanks again guys.

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

Here's a power supply...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194015

Here's the QVL for that motherboard...

Use DDR2 800 if you plan on overclocking--DDR2 667 is fine if you aren't. I see that Corsair is listed--that's the current favorite for RAM.

Everything else looks good. That power supply has a combined 44 amps on the +12v side and a PCIe connector--so you'll be able to upgrade to an 8800GTX if you decide to later... Those take around 32 amps.

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

9. AggAssault

I am not planning on overclocking I don't think. Is it still ok to use DDR800 even if I am no overclocking?

10. brite750

brite750

yeah that looks like a good psu, hey have you noticed the cpu makers are trying to get power comsumption under control or actually reducing power requirements while GPU makers are going crazy with 32amp gfx cards, thats just nuts

11. brite750

brite750

may be a waste of $$ however you never can tell, maybe you will need it for the next MB

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

Yeah--667 has a far greater spectrum of compatability, meaning you have a better chance of it working reliably. If you don't INTEND to overclock it now, you aren't going to. You don't need to overclock a system like that anyway.

13. Urir1

Urir1

I would suggest the P5B Mobo which is really good. And with that u can get the Core 2 Duo E6400, its not that expensive but if you read the article on Tom's Hardware you can overclock this CPU to be faster then the E6800 which sells for almost $1000. As for the video card, the ATI x1900 XTX is a really good card for its price, in some benchmarks it even outruns the new geforce's. As for SLI i agree with some people here, i think its just a waste of money that wont give you much more difference in performance.

14. AggAssault

IMO, they need to stop doing that. It is making building a new system horendous if you are not up to date on all of the new hardware. I used to build systems back when there was decent money involved in it. These days, there is so many more options out there it is insane. I thought the idea was to make PC's more energy effecient. I guess if you want the video capability you have to give it more power. It's crazy that the GPU speed is faster than my first CPU speed lol. My first PC was 66mhz. Good lord the advancement is crazy. I would hate to see the change in electric bills from old systems, to the new dual core/sli systems out there.

So now I know I should look for dual 12v rail on PSU's. What would be a good amperage for each rail? 22a looks higher than most of them that I have seen. What would the max be? Anyone know.

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

You can go as high as you want. The hardware will only use what it needs--it's different from voltage.

Take a look at the link I posted earlier. That's a PSU that will easily power what you have now, and most likely handle DX10 cards when their cost gets under control. You never know what's going to happen though. This one is a low priced but good quality PSU that gives you some ability to upgrade later.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice