1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some help guys.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AggAssault, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brite750

brite750

yeah until the pc gods deside that we need 28pin atx plugs;) very hard to predict the future, i now its nice when you can do that, but its getting difficult

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Then we'll have 20+4+4...or 28 or 24+4....On top of ATX, ATX2.0 Btx, MAtx, etc....

AHHHH! :D

Telling you, if you don't build constantly, forget it. 6 months out of it and you're dead meat!

3. AggAssault

AggAssault Thread Starter

Definately. I sold my most recent build, and now I am stuck with an old P4 1.3ghz with a 20gb hard drive. I dont need more than 80gb cause I like my PC squeaky clean. Hell I wish you could buy a 10,000 rpm 60gb drive, that would be awesome. I just want to make sure that this PC will dual boot Linux and win XP pro, maybe vista later. I am a sys admin for a small company and I need VNC/internet speed. I have a 10mb down connection at my house, but my CPU can't keep up with it. I have trouble loading programs cause and web surfing/VNC. Photoshop CS2 takes 2.5 mins to load lol. I Just need a PC that is gonna last me a couple years. Mainly I want to spend a decent amount of money on the MOBO so I can have upgrade options later.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure on how much longer the AM2 and LGA 775 sockets are gonna last. I assume intel may be updating soon, AMD will probally stick with it as long as they did the 939.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Nobody can tell you that for sure. I imagine the 775 will stick around for a while, and so will the AM2, but with the platform/memory issues the AM2 has been having, that might disappear in a hurry for something more stable.

All of this, of course, is pure speculation. AMD and Intel are very secretive about future moves, so the rule of thumb is to buy the most updated and current STABLE technology and roll with it as best you can.

5. brite750

brite750

i dont know but intel has an aweful lot invested in the Core 2 Duo production which is 775 so that will be around for a while, AMD is harder to tell AM2 will be around but I havent heard anything about their new 65nm production cpu and what socket it will use. I dont think anyone could have predictted how long the venerable socket A stayed viable for them, AM2 could be around for a year or it could be 5 years.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539648

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice