1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some help having Windows 98 SE recognize a Sony PSP for Music TX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by casperg1977, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. casperg1977

casperg1977 Thread Starter

I have already visited another thread that directed me to a few sites for helping me d/l some files for recognizing USB flash drives. The Sony PSP (a new portable system made by Sony), which uses Memory Stick (Pro) Duos for storage, game saves and such, but can also be used for loading movies (MPEG4) and MP3/ATRAC3 music files (I rip my own, both fmts, tyvm) to be played on the PSP on the go, but I am having problems to have W98SE recognize the PSP as a flash storage drive.

BTW, Sony's plethora of Websites aren't helping. Not one single Sony site (Sony.com, SonyStyle.com, PlayStation.com [PSP is a Playstation Prod] or even MemoryStick.com) site is helping, just resulting in downloads for its Memory Stick reader or even the fanfare of the PSP coming to North America. I am living on a limited budget and I got the PSP for an early B-day gift and since of the limited budget, I cannot afford XP. Hence, my PC is a hand-me-down that is running 98SE.

When I entered in "USB Connection" mode on the PSP (Settings>USB Connection on the home menu on the PSP) and W98 recognized it as a "PSP Type A". I installed the correct drivers that I found (I know my way around a hardware setup menu) and rebooted. I cannot see a correct drive assignment for the PSP's memory stick (really, none at all) in My Computer, even after some tweaking.

I need help, and any will be appreciated.

Thanks.

CasperG1977

------

"Windows User by Choice, Mac User By Heart"

2. puma1977us

puma1977us

Hello,

I'm in exactly the same situation but where did you find the correct drivers to install in the hardware setup menu? I contacted Sony and they were total morons and refused to help. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this situation?

3. casperg1977

I tried every possible Windows 98 "generic" driver with no successful results.

But... there was a silver lining in the clouds. I was spending an afternoon at a "used computer store" to find something to help, and lo and behold, I found a "discounted" copy of Windows ME (still in shrink-wrapped factory box with legit serial #) for $25. Bought it, installed it over W98SE and hooked up the PSP to one of my USB ports. Recognized it and installed it as a "USB Disk."

And as you, I contacted the PlayStation tech support hotline and they were total morons to me, also. They told me that they had "no current or future plans to include Windows 98 support." (And the PSP manual, about PC connections, the ONLY OSes they dictate in the manual are Windows XP or Mac OS X)

All I can say is go to a used computer store (there are a few in my area, I cannot say about your area b/c I don't know where u r located) and try to pick up a copy of ME. I am thinking that your PC is a bit old to run XP (maybe a BIOS firmware upgrade may help), so all I can say is try to go ME. It helped for me, at least it may for you.

Since Windows 98 First or Second Editions had no support for removable USB drives, and when you pick one up at, say, a CompUSA, you have to download a device-specific driver for that specific device for Windows 98 from the manufacturer's website. In other words, the driver that you may download for the USB disk (like a Lexar or similar), it will not work with the PSP.

I'm sorry, but that is all I can recommend.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

4. casperg1977

Failing that, if you cannot stand upgrading your OS, then you may get a Windows 98 SE-compatible flash memory reader/writer. CompUSA, Best Buy and Circuit City may have them.

But be careful. Some flash memory readers can only handle the larger-sized Memory Sticks. Some companies are grateful (like SanDisk) and include a free adaptor with a Memory Stick Duo.

It's also great if you want to transfer other files to other formats of flash memory.

NOTE TO MODS: I am not trying to post an ad, I am offering an alternative to those who want to stick with Windows 98 and want to transfer their files.

5. smash

smash Banned

i had the same problem today i bought a rundisk stick loaded the drivers and then nothing but then i remembered to check the setup before windows starts and enabled the usb ports and then everything worked fine:)

6. puma1977us

puma1977us

Yeah I made a ruckus at Sony tech support and told them that they couldn't trap buyers into purchasing the product without telling them ahead of time that it doesn't work with specific OSs. They told me to get a memory stick adapter to but I don't see how they can trap you into buying more bs for their system. They should send it to me for free!! It's maddening because it would honestly take them two seconds to make the stupid driver. My computer is definitely too slow for XP (which I don't like that much anyway) and I've heard of lots of problems with ME. Basically the principal is the thing; I'm not going to upgrade my OS for a stupid game system.

The issue is that the tech support guy said that there WERE Windows 98SE users who were able to use the system. And I asked him how they did and he wouldn't tell me because he said they don't support Windows 98! What an absurd game! But if there is a way for it to work, or some sort of workaround, I don't understand why they won't just tell you that....

7. brite750

brite750

Win 98 is no longer supported by many companies building hardware and software for computing, Sony has obviously jumped on that bandwagon, it is a free country and companies are free to make those kinds of choices, it may be irritating to you because you have chosen not to upgrade your pc hardware and software yet, but I dont see where that makes it Sony's problem. You as a consumer have the responsibility to make sure what you buy works together, especially in this day and age with all the high tech toys there are out there. It sounds like sony did give you an answer you just didnt like what the answer was, tech support always sucks so that isnt a real surprise. It is getting harder and harder to find new stuff that supports 98, I hung onto it as long as I could but finally made the switch to Win2000, still dont want XP yet.

8. puma1977us

puma1977us

Wrong,

I even checked the box and with the people who sold me the system who told me it would work with Windows. If they don't display on the box the operating systems it works with then they have to accept the return of the product. Sony was unwilling to accept the product return but was also unwilling to publish the fact that it would only work with new computer systems. It's completely fine if they only want to make a device that only runs on Windows XP but they have to tell you that it does; they can't trap you into buying it and then say 'well page 387 of the manual you just purchased clearly states that the PSP won't run without plutonium.' To read the manual I would have to purchase the system which I then cannot return because they refuse to accept returns!

All of this is besides the point since I'm stuck with the system. Apparently there IS a workaround; it's just a secret that they won't tell us how to do it.... That's what's frustrating...

9. brite750

brite750

If "they" who ever that is told you it would work with windows 98SE then bring it back and get your money back, its not Sony's fault because a salemen lies or is stupid about the products he/she is selling, if however you excepted that "it works with windows" to mean all versions of windows, then I would still take it back and tell them, otherwise talk to BBB or Attorney generals office, complaining on this forum is probably not going to get it done unless someone finds a work around.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  11. brite750

brite750

12. kasa

kasa

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/350121

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice