1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some help (no one could help me, nor Shuttles Customer Support nor Patriot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marcofontecha, Apr 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marcofontecha

marcofontecha Thread Starter

Please can some one help me, Shuttle customer services is really bad .. and Patriot tries but fails. I bought a Shuttle XPC G58300 from Shuttle's webiste (mora than a year ago).. I've been using it okay until now. First here are my specs:

Model: Shuttle XPC G5-8300 (Media Center Edition)
    Chip: Intel i915 P/G 3.4 GHZ (HT)
    Ram: 2 GB of Patriot Signature Line (model: PSD2G400K); previously it had 512 DDR two DIMMS no brand memory
    HD: Western Digital 250 GB SATA
    Video: EVGA - Gforce 660 256 MB
    Operating System: Windows Media Center 2005

The problem started almost a week ago ... I was using my computer when suddenly it freezed .. then I restarted it and it just sits there no boot .. the only thing I can here is the Fan working but nothing on the screen or no HD light .. so I waited and waited and tried again.. it worked .. few hours into playing F.E.A.R. it freezed again .. now I reboot it and got the same responsed ... I do not know whats happening .. the only concern is that two weeks before the problem I had upgraded the memory, before having the Patriot one I had 512 MB (with heat dispenser) of a non brand memory that came with my computer. So know I have no idea if it is caused by the Ram I installed .. the funny thing is that I called Patriot, they told me to download Memtest86 and to run it .. (when ever my computer wanted it) so I did and got non errors .. I ran the program with only one stick, two sticks, switching them and all combination possible.. I have given up and stop running more test because I'm afraid of damaging my system .. oh I also upgraded the BIOS and I'm still having the same problem but with an increse in frequency (happing more and more offeten)

Can any one tell me what could be happing or what to do .. is my computer all mess up? is it the memory? CPU? motherboard?

(I have no other computer to try the ram in)
    Thanks in advance.

2. norton850

norton850

Overheating?

3. marcofontecha

Thank you Norton .. well a friend of mine told me about overheating (specially if it is a Small Factor Computer) how can I over come this problem or test to see if that infact is the problem?

Thank you so much for the help, oh one more thing could overheat damage my memory or computer? What precautions should I take? I honstely doubt it could be overheating mainly beacuse I use my computer at night when the room tempature is not that hot.

Thanks a thousand and I hope you can help me

4. Chris A

Chris A

Leave the new memory out for a few days. As far as the overheating If you can safely do this leave the side cover off and point a fan towards it. Not too close though because AC motors could cause problems with hard drives. Also check for dust around your fans and make sure they are all working.

5. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Take the computer panel off,clean out the dust,leave the panel off,put a small house fan blowing in to the open computer and see if it still crashes. Take the heat equation out of the problem first then go from there.

6. marcofontecha

Thank you to all the people that is trying to help me .. I'm thankful to all of you. I will try it tonight. I will also try to used the old ram (it has a metal casing (heat dispensers) if this work ... then I suppose I will have to buy new ram with heat dispensers? or can you buy the metal casing apart ? Thank you again for all your help

7. replay

replay

if u ran memtest with no errors it is more than likely the ram isn't your problem........so see what happens with pugmugs suggestion...

8. marcofontecha

Thank you Replay ... I'll give it a try tonight .. another friend of mine was telling me that maybe the PSU (Power Supply Unit) wasn't giving enough power to the Mainboard or Memory. The funny thing is that the manual tell me that my computer supports up to 2GB of ram but I've searched the internet for this configuration and found out that they only talk about 1GB configurations .. could this be a problem?

Thanks

9. replay

replay

10. marcofontecha

Thanks replay .. I know it supports up to 2GB, before buying my Ram I did the research using the Internet and manual... the weird thing is that the memory configurators in kyngston, Crucial, etc .. showns me opinons up to 1GB of memory .. I have 2GB memory DDR 3200 (400) Dual Channel .. while running Memtest86 I confirmed this .. the only thing is the CAS 3-4-4-8 (which I thing is slow) compare to the old ram I had .. but the old one is only two 256 MB sticks from Supertalent

Thanks again

11. marcofontecha

12. marcofontecha

Good Morning, well I tried yesterday the recommendations in this forum and sad to say it didn't work. I even installed the old ram that my computer had and it didn't work either. Any more suggestions?

Thank you

13. Chris A

Chris A

14. marcofontecha

Thank you Chris... I'll do that .. I'll check the Motherboard to see if it has any visible damange. Yes once I was able to enter the BIOS and the CPU temperature was the highest with 70 degrees .. the computer is set to use smartfan when it gets over 60 degrees. Then there are a lot of other readings but nothing that could catch my attention like the CPU tempature.

Thanks,

15. pugmug

pugmug Banned

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/462941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice