1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some help picking out a laptop.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The Infinity, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. The Infinity

The Infinity Thread Starter

I am trying to figure out a laptop for college that would be good for gaming and good for school. I want a really nice one that is gonig to last me a very long time.

I have been looking at the Acer Ferrari on Newegg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834115194

and the ABS Mayhem G4 from ABS
    http://www.abs.com/app/config.asp?mono=1884&layout=GZ

I know the things I want in the laptops.
    CPU: Something Super fast pereferably 64bit with (Intel Centrino or if AMD 64 w/e mobile thing it has.)
    RAM: Perferable DDR2 533 but it doesn't really matter (1 Gig)
    Video Card: My friend told me the Mobile 6600 is better than the Mobile x700
    Hard Drive: MUST BE 100 Gigs or Better.
    Screen Reselution: Something Wide
    Disk Drive: MUST HAVE DVD-RW!

I have a budget of about $2,100 so if you know anything better for a cheaper price please let me know. But please do not go over this amount YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

-Thank you for your time.

2. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Well for your requirements, that Acer Ferrari looks pretty nice & looks like it has everything you wanted. Out of the two, I'd go with the Acer.

*sniff* now I want one... :(

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Since gaming is important, I recommend a HD spin rate of 7200 with lots of on-board HD cache.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would go with the acer Ferrarri as well.

5. The Infinity

The Infinity Thread Starter

Well what I was thinking about is Vista if like most of Microsoft's OS's when first realeased is going to have massive issues so if we went with a super fast 32bit CPU then it would save us some money and would allow us to get some great performance out of a laptop.

Considering that Windows XP still isn't fixed totally and over the last year has had some major security flaws by having loop holes and such if we went with a 32bit CPU then by the time Vista would have been fixed and the 64bit version totally fixed we would already have an outdated laptop. If we had a 64 bit CPU the same thing would apply. The best part about it is Vista is going to come out in a 32bit version which will give us a new OS to upgrade to if we wanted.

Also if we were to get into a major company or actually any kind of company for that fact they would not require us to run on a crappy OSs since they would probly want us to get work on an OS that works fine and can get the work done already, and most company's provide there employees with a work laptop.

I think I have made my mind up. I am gonig to go with a 32bit CPU the Sager has everything I need and more. The Graphics Card is unbelievable compared to most laptop video cards and will last for a long while considering that graphics card in desktops cost about $400 it will take some while for it to be a "decent" card... the same can not be said for the Mobile 6600 or x700. The memory clock on the RAM is high for most memory that comes stock in laptops usually it is about 333mhz when this is 533mhz. The screen is nice and wide 17" compared to alot of Moniters that have 15" the CPU is VERY fast and better yet it comes with Intel Centrino. The Harddrive can be upgraded to 100Gig SATA 7,2000RPM, the Weight is not really an issue and neither is the Battery Life since if is to short for me I can always get another, it comes with a nice DVD-RW w/ Lightscribe for College or Business lableing, and there a numerous more features that you can add in and customize, and one thing I like alot is you can choose not for the laptop to come with an OS so you don't have to have all that crap on it.

I hope this helps anyone else who is in the same delima as me but I think I have it all figured out now. All I have to do now is find a review on the http://powernotebooks.com/specs/Sager/5720specs.php just to see if it really stands up to all it puts out.

-Thanks Guys.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice