1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some help Purchasing 3d card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lodni, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lodni

Lodni Thread Starter

hi

okay i have a radeon 9600 xt and want to upgrade to a x800 xt or a x800 pro or geforce 6800 ultra i think it's called.
    i have alot of questions so bare with me :). okay since the pci express has come out i have been confused and it has stopped me from buying a new video card as i have been told that pci express is much faster then agp x8.

1. is question is pci express faster then agp x8 ( how much faster if possible)??
    2. if so is it worth buying a new motherboard and a x800 xt or gefroce 6800 ultra ??
    3. if yes then what motherboard would you guys recommend (with price if possible) ??
    4. if not then witch graphic card do you recommend from the x800 xt and the 6800 ultra and if i can get them even for the agp x8

thx alot in advance :D

2. Dre0745

Dre0745

Hi, ok, well
    1) PCI Express I think is twice as fast as the AGP x8
    2) I think Nvidia 6800 is already enabled for PCI Express, so you could use it with you system now, and with the new mobo;s.
    3) I don't know about any mobo with PCI Express... sorry. :D
    I would recommend the 6800 either GT or Ultra... GT is cheaper... but i think both support the PCI Express... hehe
    Later

Dre0745

3. rockinmale

rockinmale

I can tell you that both cards you mentioned will support pci express and also be backward compatible with agp 2.0. So if you wanna shell out the big bucks now it will be compatible with 8x and the new pci express motherboards.

From what i have read so far about pci express. It's suppose to run circles around the agp 2.0.

Personally speaking i would wait before upgrading to a pci express system. Prices are ridiculous right now. An asus motherboard was going for around $250. Plus ram prices for ddr2 are off the wall. They were asking around $400 for a gig of ram.
    Plus with this technology being so new. I would rather wait till they hammer out the bugs along with the prices.

If you think about it before you get done buying your cpu, ram, and video your looking at close to a Grand if not more.

If you want to check out hardware prices.....go here
    www.pricewatch.com

4. Lodni

Lodni Thread Starter

hi again

okay thx for all ya suggestions
    the reason i want to buy i new video card is becuase i like playing games like Doom 3 and hopfully coming out sometime soon half-life 2 and well my radeon 9600 xt just can't really keep up and since doom 3 has come out it has puched me wonting a new 3d card even more. i also do alot of graphic designs so since i kinda damand the best performace possible.

so i need a recommendation wether i should go with the pci or agp.
    i need something that will last me also in the long run.

also one more question when you say the pci express is much faster then the agp x8 are you saying that the agp x8 is holding back the full performace of the newer 3d cards??
    also if you have an article from the web that you could attach that would be great.

thx again.

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice