1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need some help real fast

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gmcsierra99, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmcsierra99

gmcsierra99 Banned Thread Starter

i got Win. 98 and i am wanting to make it DSL, what do i need? the ethernet card? i was on Ebay and was looking at ethernet cards, and messaged somebody and he said they were ethernet cards not modems? i thought an ethernet card was the modem? thanks 4 any help. ;)

2. Augie65

Augie65

The DSL modem is the connection from the provider into your home. You then need an ethernet cable or wireless connection to connect to your computer. This is were you need an ethernet card or wireless card in your computer. I have cable broadband to a modem, then I have a wireless router which then connects the broadband connection to my computers. Here is a diagram to help explain this.

3. gmcsierra99

yeah, soo i need an ethernet card, and a router? i dont know what the guy on Ebay was talking about.

4. golferbob

golferbob

my dsl provider sent me a dsl router but i needed a new 10/100 ethernet card. i just went to a computer store a bought one for $15.

5. Augie65

Augie65

You would only need the router if you wanted to connect more than one computer. If you have an ethernet card in one computer, then you connect the cable directly to the computer from the modem. If you want to connect several computers, then you would want a router. You can set up either wired or wireless from a router, whichever you want.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi gmcsierra99

My ISP sent me a modem, later I purchased a router so I could also have a wireless connection for a second computer.
    I haven't seen one myself, but I understand some modems are a combination modem/router.

Originally, when I signed up for DSL, I went out and purchased an ethernet card.
    Only to find out that my computer already had an ethernet card. :p

Look on the back of your computer, are you currently using Dial-up?
    If so, look to see if there is another plug that is larger than a phone jack, if there is one, then the computer should have an ethernet card installed.

7. gmcsierra99

EAFiedler, i know what im talking about lol, i do have a ethernet card in this computer, i was going to hook up my Compaq to DSL also, but i need a network card and a router to hook both up to the internet, the guy on Ebay had no idea what he was talking about :).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice