1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some Help with pictures

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by LauraMJ, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Okay, I want to make a calendar using Cafepress.com. They tell me that for their large calendar, pictures need to be 3500x2300, with a dpi of 200. I am having a hard time finding a camera that saves pictures that large. :eek:

Is there an editing program that could help? Is there a way to increase the size without making it blurry? Someone I know told me this:

Would this really work well enough for a photo for a calendar?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Yes .. You can increase the pixel size ..
    But it'll still only look as good as the original picture ... when standing father away.

I'd recommend using a nearest pixel algorithm for the resizing in this application ..
    and maybe saving the Image as a gif file.

There are several free "viewer/editors" ..
    Once upon a time, I saw one that had a nearest pixel resizer .. But I can't remember which one it was.
    Anyone ???

If you can get me a Copy ... and are on a high speed net ...
    I can send you back a resized copy ... done this way.
    Send me a PM if you need my Email address.
    The picture(s) will be too large to attach here.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  4. slipe

slipe

Nearest pixel is usually referred to as nearest neighbor, and almost any program is capable of that. Some programs like Irfanview refer to it as resize rather than resample. It is faster than a resample method, but most consider it of lower quality. The biggest advantage other than speed is that you don’t usually require as much sharpening after a simple nearest neighbor resize.

Unless you use sophisticated filters like Genuine Fractals or Alien Skin Blow Up, you can’t usually do better than the Lanczos resample filter in the freeware Irfanview IMO. Or Bicubic in most good image editors.

The advice you got is accurate. You need to crop, resample and sharpen.

3500x2300 is pretty close to 3:2 but not exactly. Most smaller digital cameras give you a 4:3 ratio at best quality. In any case you have to crop to the right proportions before doing the resample. If you crop and resample to 3500 X 2300 at 200 PPI you get 17.5 X 11.5 image size. I would guess that is what the calendar requires. You can do all of that in Irfanview, but it is easier in an image editor like Photoshop or Elements.

The image will look great from a 7Mp or higher camera as there will be very little resample up to that size. Even a 5 or 6Mp should look quite good with a good resample and sharpening.

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Glad you know what I meant .. not what I said. :)
    Now that I think about this ... Laura probably has photos instead of Text like on a Calender.
    This changes everything .. back to the "normal" way of doing things.

I've volunteered to help .. This'll probably take more than a simple freeware editor.

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You would need a 9.18 Megapixel or so camera to get a picture that would not need to be resampled to a higher resolution. I found a UK site that reviewed few 10 Megapixel cameras that will give you pictures that you can crop a bit to exactly 3500 X 2300 pixels. How big is your wallet? :eek: :eek:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/review/digital_camera_10mp.html

7. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator Thread Starter

Mine's rather miniscule, actually. :p

Thanks, Noyb! I've sent you an email!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542033

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice