1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by CoasterFreak, Oct 1, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. CoasterFreak

CoasterFreak Thread Starter

First Name:
    Everett
    Hey all!
    First off, let me say sorry because I have not been active on these forums in a LOOOONG time. Between school and work...i hardly have the time. Thankfully...I'm still alive!

Anyways, onto my question. I'm starting another web site shortly...a blog site similar to engadget.com. I want to "hire" free-lance writers and I'd pretty much pay them on a per-article basis (something like $20 or so per published article). Anyways, I need to learn the legal mumbo-jumbo behind this if there is any. Do I even have to report anything to the government or is it simply up to whomever is receiving the money to report this on their taxes? I just need someway to get "clearance" before I even think of paying people because I don't want to get in trouble.

Thanks!!!

-EJ

2. katonca

katonca

Now there's a good question. I don't know for sure but I'd say it would be up to the person receiving the cash to do the reporting, with no liability (or license) needed on your part (considering you're not benefiting from the publishing of their article). Anyone at college versed in accounting?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge comes along. (y)

3. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    Well, certainly this is no legal advice or anything, but I'll try a little bit.

Get a good lawyer and a good accountant. Get things going right the first time.

1. You need to check with local/ state laws regarding this stuff.

2. You need to establish a DBA for doing business.

3. You will need to employ them as contractors. They will need to give you SSN and stuff, and you need to get them a 1099 (I think that's right) and make sure they sign it and all. This is the security that they understand they are contract help. If you don't and they don't pay their taxes, and big man comes after them, they'll claim they were employees, and that you should have paid it.

4. Keep up with your taxes and bills. They'll creep up on you quickly.

5. Make sure that they sign clear documentation that they are forfeiting copyright information to you. Yes, that means they cannot reproduce their own work without your permission. Again, the lawyer should have that for you.

Hope something there helps.

4. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Thanks a million guys! I'll try and look into this further...unfortunately I'm a "poor college student" and don't have the money for a good lawyer, ha. But I'll definitely check in on this legal mumbo-jumbo before I start paying people!

Thanks Again!

5. hewee

hewee

6. CoasterFreak

First Name:
    Everett
    Ouu, thanks hewee!

7. hewee

hewee

Your welcome CoasterFreak

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!