1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some serious help with Xbox to Laptop bridging!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by johnweir, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. johnweir

johnweir Thread Starter

Okay so here it goes.

I'm trying to connect my Xbox 360 to my laptop to get Xbox Live. I've read and watched hundreds of instructables and videos to try to do this but it's not working.

I'm running Windows 7, and my problem is that first of all, when I go to the "change adapter settings", I have a choice of my wireless network, and a Bluetooth connection. There is no Local Area Connection available to bridge it to."

So instead I tryed the other method of getting Live, which is the go to the sharing tab under the network properties, but the problem is, I don't have the sharing tab there.

So basically I have no way of doing it, can someone help me?

If it helps I have an HP Pavilion DV6810us upgraded to Windows 7.

Thank you so much, I've been trying this for weeks. :eek:

image of adapters(where local area connection doesn't show up, and only bluetooth)

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/13-224700L/1302/png/04/2010/img4/glowfoto
    [​IMG]

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is listed under Network Adapters in Device Manager? Any of those, or anything else in Device Manager, have warnings or errors?

3. johnweir

johnweir Thread Starter

There is the following:

Network Adapters:
    Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
    Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
    Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocal TDI)
    Nvidia nForce Networking Controller *****this one has a yellow exclamation mark****

4. schang626

schang626

download the latest win7 driver for your network card
    uninstall your current network card driver
    reboot
    install the latest driver
    DONE!

5. johnweir

johnweir Thread Starter

Okay so to make sure I'm doing this right, install the latest update for my "Atheros" card,

then uninstall the "atheros" update I just installed,

reboot, and then reinstall the driver for the "atheros"?

6. johnweir

johnweir Thread Starter

I'm just wondering before I do anything wrong and majorly screw it up:(

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think the reference was to the Networking Controller that needs a driver. :) Should be from your PC (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site. Usually no need to uninstall the old one (if there is one); just install the new.

You could also update the wireless driver if you are having any problem with the wireless.

8. blakcshadow

blakcshadow

be sure to use a crossover when connecting the xBox to the laptop

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If neither port is auto-sensing (MDI/MDI-X). First we have to "find" the connection. :)

10. johnweir

johnweir Thread Starter

When I search for new drivers for the Networking Controller it comes back saying Windows has found that it's up to date?!

What now:(

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you give us a link to the HP page you were on when you got that message?

12. johnweir

johnweir Thread Starter

I actually got that message when I right clicked it in Device Manager and clicked Update Driver, on the HP website they do not give out drivers for my model with Windows 7, a HP Pavilion dv6810us with Windows 7. The only driver available is the HP Wireless Assistant. Otherwise there's nothing. heres the page I used:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...ca&dlc=en&submit.y=0&submit.x=0&lang=en&cc=ca

I then click Windows 7 32 Bit and there's only one driver. Heres what it looks like when I try to do it the other way:

Windows Key + R - devmgmt.msc

Under network adapter, I go to the Nvidia Networking Controller, right click, "update driver software", comes back with this message:

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/14-124137L/5093/png/04/2010/img6/glowfoto

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Use the Vista driver from HP's site. When there is no Windows 7 driver the Vista driver usually works. I installed all (starting with the chipset) HP's Vista drivers as soon as I installed Windows 7 and have had no problems. If there is no Vista driver you may be out of luck.

This is my preferred order for finding drivers:

1. PC manufacturer's web site,
    2. Motherboard manufacturer's web site,
    3. Device manufacturer's web site,
    4. A "drivers" site, such as DriverGuide,
    5. Anywhere you can find one that might work,
    6. Let Device Manager try to find one.
    7. Use Windows Update.

14. johnweir

johnweir Thread Starter

I don't really know what to look for though. Am I looking for a driver for the Nvidia Networking Controller? Is that my problem for no Local Area Connection being shown?

15. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes. Sorry, we don't always get the level of our communication correct. Local Area Connection (LAN), Networking Controller, Ethernet adapter, and NIC all refer pretty much to the same thing. If and when we get warnings and errors off the Nvidia Networking Controller you should see a LAN in Network Connections.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice