1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need some wireless network advice/help??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jwlknsn7, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwlknsn7

jwlknsn7 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

New to this forum and just looking for a bit of advice regarding wireless routers and the setup.

I've recently moved out of home and back to parents house. I am bringing with me a desktop PC which is going in the room where my parents desktop is. My parents desktop is then moving upstairs and we are also considering a laptop. I'm a bit of a novice on this but of what I've read so far as I understand it what I'll need is the following:

Wireless modem router to replace current modem connected to main PC.
    Wireless card to go into PC going upstairs (Or wireless USB attachment)
    Assuming laptop would already have integrated wireless connectivity

As we are currently going to have two PC's running from the router and potentially a laptop, what do I need to consider when buying a wireless router? I don't want to have to spend 100's of £'s on one but also obviously don't want a budget one which may result in connection issues and slowdown in our connections. Thing is I don't know much about them and really need some advice on a few suitable ones for me. We currently are on a 2MB broadband connection and we would be using the pcs mainly for surfing, chatting and downloading now and again. I want to make sure our internet connections won't be slowed down.

I also need to know which is best
    wireless card inside PC?
    or wireless USB?

I asked the IT guys at work - one of them preferred the cards and said the USB in his experience get a few problems, the other guy said he uses USB's and has had no problems! Arghhh!

Another thing I'm considering is having the main printer upstairs - is it possible for us to link the other pc & laptop to the printer using our wireless setup?

Last thing - although this might sound strange for people not using AOL - On my PC I was with AOL, as are my parents. I've now cancelled my AOL subscription so cannot now use my old screenname - ill be using an old one setup years ago on parents computer. When i come to sign onto the internet on my computer once all this wireless lark is setup, how do i do it? I obviously still have the AOL software on my computer - but at the moment it has the old screennames on there which i now cant use - how do I enable use of the old screenname on my computer when it's setup on my parents computer? Or will I need to create a new one? Hope that makes sense.

Sorry for the long post

Cheers for anyone who might be able to help

Wilky

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Actually if you have a good working modem you really only need a router and don't need a modem router combo.

Most all routers already have a 4 port connection in the back so 2 clients should suffice to connect to anything you buy.

ABout an internal card and a USB card there is no "best the main thing to remember is USB does require the USB functionality to work right and some people tend to have USB issues from time to time. I usually am a pureist and will always go internal first.

You have to setup a screenname under your parents account and use that one to log in. If this old one your talking about is still on your parents PC then simply log into this screenname on your PC.

3. jwlknsn7

jwlknsn7 Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply mate

So I just need a router which then connects to my modem? then we feed off the router?

The old screenname is still on parents pc yes, - presumably i just log on as a guest then on my computer as the old screenname? Alternatively i guess i could just open internet explorer and use that?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

As far as WHERE you log on I can't tell you I don't use AOL but I do know my sister at home uses 3 computers to access AOL. (Don't ask I tried to tell them there are better services :) ).

You have the connection dead on. If you only want 1 device though you will have to replace the modem as well and you would be 100% correct in what you need. If you don't mind having 2 units or prefer to keep them seperate (in case you have a problem with 1 or the other) then you want to buy just a router.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't think I saw anywhere above one little detail that sometimes trips people up--with separate modem and router, the modem needs to have an ethernet connection (some have only USB).

6. jwlknsn7

jwlknsn7 Thread Starter

hmmm... our modems only have dsl connection and a usb connection. Maybe I should just get a wireless router modem then?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. Persuade your ISP to let you exchange your current modem for one with ethernet plus buy a wireless router;
    2. Buy a DSL modem w. ethernet plus buy a wireless router; or
    3. Buy a DSL modem/wireless router combo.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice