1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need suggestion on content management software: Excel? Sheet

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bj nick, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I'm getting ready to start submitting my novel to multiple agents....I want to be able to track the process, keep up with follow-up, deadlines, etc, etc. I've been told that a template in Sheets or Excel is the ticket. I have Windows 7, no experience with Excel other than making charts/graphs. Any advice appreciated!

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Just like you need to learn "how" to ride a bike, or to drive a car, or to swim, you need to learn how to use Excel. Read and practice, practice, practice.

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

No, sorry, I do not. I need to target what it is I need to learn about whatever software applies to me, and then diligently learn to use it. I don't see your comment as being helpful.

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Okay, so what are you waiting for? Get busy ... time's a wasting. ;)

5. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

LOL..... I need to find exactly what it is I need to learn. I think I wrote contact management but that's not it, it's more like CRM. I want to learn how to create a simple spreadsheet - based form that will help me keep track of which people I have submitted the manuscript to, how they responded, when they said I should follow up, Etc. If you direct me to the right place, I'll get started on it today!

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

7. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thank you! I will do the tutorial.

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Just to make the point though, I don't know why this is confusing - there are a trillion things you can do in Excel. I don't need to know those trillion things. I wanted to just focus on this one particular area where I need to create something. I will do the tutorial and see where I'm at.

9. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Right, start with the basics and build from there. It's impossible to learn it all at once. (I think I actually learned more, years ago, by using [F1] (Help) in Excel to look up answers I was looking for, which included helpful examples.).

10. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I watched the tutorial. I have searched through dozens and dozens of YouTube videos and Google searches and all I am trying to find is a simple way I can create a spreadsheet, or find a little app or whatever - - so that I can track my submissions and follow up on them. Getting pretty frustrating to be honest. Every tutorial or whatever leads me down many other paths to stuff I do not need..... Maybe I should just do some spreadsheet tutorials in general.

11. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Load Excel, type someone's name in cell A1 and hit the down arrow key. Type someone's name in B1 and hit the down arrow key, etc., etc., etc.

Now go back up to cell A2 and type in something relevant to the person's name in A1, like say their email address. If there is other different info about the person, like maybe their cellphone number, type it in C1, something else in D1, E1, etc.

Now go down to B2 and repeat ... for the person listed in B1.

C2 and repeat.

Now jump back up to A1 and press [Alt] then [R] (to insert a new row above A1). Now create unique column labels, such as Name in A1, Email in A2, Cell in A3, etc.

Now press [Ctrl+S] to save it, select Excel Worksheet, give it a some file name and select which folder you want to to save your file in.

That's it, it should look something like this:

[​IMG]

12. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thank you, that I can do! I want at least some of the bells and whistles, such as being able to set notifications for when I'm supposed to respond, or a deadline, Etc.

13. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Then create a column with a date in it. Or maybe more than one? A date when you recorded the info in the spreadsheet, another when you sent them info, yet another when you told them you would get back with them(?). You can then sort the data by whichever date column, or name, etc. (ascending or descending, & more).

14. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Okay, here's what I decided to do, since I can't just acquire the template I need. I have a one-month free trial with Skillshare, and they offer numerous courses on Excel. I'm doing one of them, it's extensive, and I'm really enjoying it and learning a ton. I'm quite sure that once I've mastered the basics (53 lessons...!) I will be able to easily create what I need. And, anything else I'll need in the future, I'll now have the knowledge, plus a million other options for other applications. So thanks!

15. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Great news! I think you'll find that the deeper you dig into Excel, the more you'll enjoy digging even deeper. It can be an extremely powerful tool.

Oh, BTW, one of the first rules of Excel: Don't tell anyone you're good at it. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice