1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need support about buying a new CDRW Drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by chamel413, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chamel413

chamel413 Thread Starter

Hello I’ve got some questions! I've had my CDRW burner ever since I got my computer in 1999. Yeah, I still have it and I am still using. It's still great! It used to have Windows 98, but now it currently has Windows XP. Back when my computer had Win 98 and Adaptec 3.5c for my CDRW burner, the burner worked fine. But after wiping my computer clean and installing Win XP I found out that Windows XP no longer supported the Adaptec software. So I bought Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 because I guess that's what the Adaptec company changed into. So I installed Roxio thinking that my CDRW burner would run on that instead. Now my CD burner doesn't work much at all. I'm sick and tired of it. It works when it feels like it, but most of the time it fails and I waste CD after CD or data on my CD’s mysteriously disappears. Windows detects it as being unstable. I figured I should probably get a new one because I’m thinking that the one I have right now is very old and is too outdated to be supported by Roxio. Am I right/wrong?

Could somebody suggest what should I buy when I go out tomorrow? I want an internal CDRW. I don't need a combo DVD one because my computer probably couldn't handle it and because I don't really need DVD. I don't need the fastest one; I just want that is good quality and one that works. If I got a newer CDRW would there be compatibility issues with my computer or my CD ROM drive because they older or something? Do I just plug the new CDRW into the spot where the older one was or are there other settings I need to change? Would Roxio recognize it or would I have to reinstall it?

Sorry about all the questions.

Here some stuff about my computer

Computer: Dell Dimension XP T450Mz Pentium III
    Ram: 512MB
    System: Windows XP
    CD ROM Drive: LG CD0ROM CRD-8480C
    CDRW Drive: SONY CD-RW CRX100E
    CD Burning Software: Roxio Easy Media Creator 7

Thanks so much!

2. Sponsor

3. Deathblow

Deathblow

Well, it's really not worth NOT buying a DVD burner now adays. You can get a 16X dual layer one for under $100, and a good basic DVD burner for under $50. If you really don't want a DVD burner, then most of what is out there will do fine for ya. I have always had good luck with Lite-on and Buslink myself.

4. stantley

stantley

Before you give up on your CD-RW, go to the Dell website and see if there is an updated version of your firmware. I also have a Dell with a Sony CD-RW and I downloaded new firmware a few weeks ago.

You could also go to this site:

http://sony.storagesupport.com/cdrw/diagnostics.htm

Download the Sony DriveCheck Diagnostic tool, run it and see what it says.

5. dugq

dugq

Plextor are generally regarded as the best quality CD-R and DVD-R drives, they're a little more money but worth it.

6. angelique01

angelique01

Lite-On works good for me as well and is affordable.

7. accat13

accat13

Well with the cost of drives being as cheap as they are nowadays,I think your only hold back is your system specs.I think they are under the requirements for most dvd burners.But if you can find a dvd burner that falls within your specs I would say go for it.The cost of media is (cd vs. dvd) is almost the same that would be my deciding factor.Think about it on a single layer dvd you get 5x the content at about the same price.I would stick with the brand names lite-on, pioneer, Nec,Lg, Benq(philips),and if you can afford it plextor lol...My personal suggestion for a cdrw drive would be a lite-on sohr5238s http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/218 I used a 5237s for many years with no problems,recently retired for my benq 1640...

@ angelique01 are you running hacked firmware on your Lite-On SOHW-812S(my eeprom is hacked) because it doesn't support Dual Layer natively and have you burned any Dl discs

8. chamel413

chamel413 Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. But I'm still not to clear on what the difference is between DVD burners and CR-RW burners. Are DVD burners the same as CR-RW burners, but can burn and play DVD's? And what does single layer and dual layer mean?

Thanks!

9. Deathblow

Deathblow

Yes, DVD burners will do everything a CD burner will do, but also will do the DVD media. As for dual or single layer, basically it's capacity. A dual layer can burn about twice the amount, but the media is more expensive. However, all dual layer burners can burn single layer as well.

10. chamel413

chamel413 Thread Starter

Well explained, Thanks! Sorry I got another question. If I get a DVD burner would I beable to take video files like from real player, and then make them playable on standard DVD players?

11. angelique01

angelique01

No I haven't burnt any Dual Layer disks.

12. angelique01

angelique01

Yes, I remember looking for a dual layer disk once. I can't remeber the exact price, but it was up there.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/398022