1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need Tech Help Installing XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wiseguyz408, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wiseguyz408

wiseguyz408 Thread Starter

Hello,

I am currently running Windows 98SE and I am looking to upgrade to Windows XP Professional. I have already Purchased The Software but when i go to install it it says that alot of my software and drivers arent compatible with XP. I am having difficulty understanding this and have no idea what to do or whether to go on with the installation. They supplied me with a list of stuff that isnt compatible. I would appreciate if some one could take a look at this and advice me on what to do.

P.S. I am very computer illiterate so please if any help is given be detailed.

Thanks,
    Ron

Setup found hardware or software on your computer that might not or will not work with Windows XP. You should read and understand this upgrade report before continuing.

For more information, click a topic:

Warnings
    Helpful Information

Setup has detected that some hardware or programs on your computer might not function correctly after the upgrade is completed. This lack of functionality can have an effect on things you might want to do, such as connecting to the Internet, accessing e-mail, printing, scanning, and playing sounds or music. It is important that you read and understand this upgrade report before continuing. To resolve some of these issues, you can get more information at Microsoft Windows XP Professional on the Web.

Setup will automatically back up your existing version of Windows. You can restore your computer safely even if these upgrade problems remain. To uninstall Windows XP, go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

Warnings (return to top)
    The following issues might require you to obtain files from Microsoft Windows Update Web site or a manufacturer's Web site. You can still continue to upgrade to Windows XP without resolving these issues, but some hardware or software might not work. Follow the recommendations in each section.

Hardware Compatibility Issues
    Setup has found hardware on your computer that is incompatible with (that is, it does not work with) Windows XP.

Hardware That Might Need Additional Files
    The following hardware might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP. Contact your hardware vendors to obtain Windows XP compatible updates. In many cases, if a Windows XP version is not yet available, a Windows 2000 compatible update should work. It is recommended that you obtain these drivers in advance.

You can also view the Microsoft Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List on the Web.

Please note that some of the following entries might be software that is registered as hardware.

Imaging Device
    Agfa ePhoto CL18 Camera Stream Driver (not currently present)

Printer
    Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 930C

Sound, video and game controllers
    Intel Native Acoustic Echo Canceller (not currently present)
    Santa Cruz Game Device
    Santa Cruz Joystick
    Santa Cruz Virtual MPU-401 (not currently present)

Scanners or Digital Cameras That Might Not Work
    Setup did not recognize the following scanners or digital cameras. Before upgrading, check the packaging that came with each device to see if it supports Windows XP, or contact the device manufacturer. Reinstall each device when Setup is complete, using the software that came with the device.

ePhoto CL18 TWAIN Driver

Software Compatibility Issues

Software That Does Not Support Windows XP
    Setup has found programs on your computer that are incompatible with (that is, they do not work with) Windows XP. Contact your software vendors to obtain updates or Windows XP-compatible versions. If you don't update these programs before you upgrade, the programs will not work after the upgrade is completed.

Java Plug-in (in Control Panel)
    Santa Cruz Control Panel (in Control Panel)
    System Information (on the Start menu)

Before you upgrade to Windows XP, you should remove any incompatible programs if you can. After the upgrade, uninstall for these programs might not work. Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel can help you uninstall most programs. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Add/Remove Programs.

Intel Create & Share Software
    To function properly, this version of Intel Create & Share Software might require upgrading. For more information, contact Intel.

MouseWare
    MouseWare is incompatible with this version of Windows and must be removed before continuing.

Phone Tools
    Phone Tools is incompatible with this version of Windows. For more information, contact BVRP Software.

Software That Must Be Reinstalled
    The following programs need to be reinstalled after the upgrade, because they use different files and settings in Windows XP.

DirectCD 3
    DirectCD 3 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows and might not run as expected. Drivers installed by this program might cause system instability, including problems with Shut Down/Restart and the inability to use a DVD drive. For more information, contact Roxio, Inc..

Easy CD Creator 4
    IntelliPoint 4.x

Settings That Will Not Be Upgraded
    Some of your settings will not be upgraded, because they aren't applicable in Windows XP.

Network Connection Protocol
    NetBEUI
    Support for the NETBEUI protocol is not available in Windows XP. For networks using NETBEUI, install TCP/IP on all machines or devices to maintain network connectivity.

Helpful Information (return to top)
    The following issues are listed for your information only. You can continue the upgrade to Windows XP.

Software Compatibility Issues

Incompatible Hardware Accessories
    The following programs support your computer hardware; however, they are incompatible with Windows XP. To see whether updated versions of these programs are available, visit your hardware manufacturer's Web site.

3Com Modem Manager (on the Start menu)

Other Upgrade Information

Microsoft DirectX 9.0
    To maintain compatibility with your DirectX 9.0 applications, you will need to download the DirectX 9.0 update for Windows XP, Windows XP SP1 and Windows Server 2003 from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Of course a clean installation of XP would be the first advice. But failing that, you should continue with the installation if you don't mind looking for drivers and software updates for all the items listed.

Your sound card and (probably) game controller drivers are here:
    http://download.com.com/3000-2120-10199395.html

You should be able to find XP drivers somewhere, with our help, for nearly any piece of hardware.

The critical phrase would appear to be this one:
    "Setup will automatically back up your existing version of Windows. You can restore your computer safely even if these upgrade problems remain. To uninstall Windows XP, go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel."

There are other options, too. If you have the space, you could set up a dual boot and have both 98 and XP.

But I'd advise at least trying the upgrade. My computer is home-made and I got similar warnings about everything when I installed XP. As you can see, I'm here :D

Some comments on other items:

Easy CD Creator 4 may not work on XP. But you can purchase an upgrade or use XP's burner. There are a few very good free burning programs.

The Java plugin is easily updated.

NetBEUI is not natively supported in XP, but can be installed from the ValueAdded folder on the XP CD.

3. wiseguyz408

I would but im just scared that i dont be able to connect to the internet.

Do you see anything on that list that will cause me problems to connect to internet after installing XP?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It would be an excellent idea to find an XP driver for your modem, but XP seems to think it has the driver or the manager wouldn't be the only thing listed. That is the main thing I do preparing for an installation. At least with that, you can get onto the net.

The other important thing is the display driver. You can't do much if you can barely read the screen. But that doesn't appear as a problem.

5. wiseguyz408

Not sure what to make of that? find a xp driver for my modem before i install XP? if so where?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Do you know what modem you have? It's a 3Com, it seems. But we'd need a model number.

Aida32 can help you identify it.

7. wiseguyz408

every where i go to download Aida32 doesnt work. Is there any other way to identify the modem for you?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. wiseguyz408

i downloaded it but i dont know where to go to find the modem info. If you could let me know where to go i will check it tomorrow because i must go for the night.

Take Care,
    Ron

10. wiseguyz408

I think the best thing for me to do is do a clean installation. Before i whipe my harddrive and install XP is there any thing you would recommend I do to make sure i can connect to the internet when XP is installed. Because wont all the modem drivers be gone? and will i even be able to get those drivers off of the windows 98SE recovery disk when using XP?

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    1) If it's a 3Com, Windows XP might have the driver already preinstalled. Even without you can use Windows generic driver for that. In fact the modem model number should be listed in the Device Manager.

2) I can tell you that the HP Printer will work in XP. XP should even have the driver preinstalled.

3) NETBUI? Is this machine on a small network?

4) Your software conflictions: From a colleague of mine, she had to purchase the XP version of EasyCD Creator because her one did not work. You will need to do the same, or you might be able to download it from their website.

5) your camera software and JAVA can be reinstalled. No biggie.

6) MouseWare - most likely not needed. Unless your mouse is a USB mouse.

One question, did you buy Windows XP Professional Upgrade or Windows XP Professional Full?

12. wiseguyz408

i bought Full Version XP Pro.

"3) NETBUI? Is this machine on a small network?"

I'm not on any network i dont use it so i guess that dont matter.

Any how thats what i am going to do then.

Thanks For Help,
    Ron

13. seurat01

seurat01

I am interested in the answer to this question, but I haven't been able to find it in the thread. I have Win98 and would like to install a new hard drive and WinXP. Since I don't have XP installed, will a Win98 recovery disk be OK to use, should it be needed when I try to install XP on the new hard drive?

Thanks

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why do you need Win98 CD at all? You only need it if you bought an upgrade version of XP, and even in that case you can direct XP setup to the Windows folder of your 98 installation to verify that you are qualified for an upgrade.

You don't need to install 98 first. In fact, that is not a good idea.

15. wiseguyz408

So do you recommend then that i whipe my hardrive and install XP fresh? it is the full version

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!