1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need the disc, not the registration

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by aRatFlail, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aRatFlail

aRatFlail Thread Starter

Alright, so my girlfriend got her computer absolutely crawling with viruses, false anti-virus software, malware, and so much other gunk that I figured the best option was a clean wipe and a reinstallation of her OS. Well, the good news was I managed to pull the registration key using a program I found on the web.

The bad news is that there seems to be no copy of Windows XP Professional 32-bit edition within the circulation of her family. So, like the title says, I need a copy of it, but NOT the registration key. I haven't tried contacting windows directly (something which I plan to do) but I have a feeling that I'll either be charged for the disc or sold some BS reason why they don't have any.

If I am wrong, however, please let me know. If I am right or if you know of a way, is there any place I can retrieve a copy? I've tried torrents, and all there are are versions she doesn't used or hacked versions that have product keys built in. Not crazy about even touching those considering the legal issues. If you need more information I'll be standing by.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Microsoft will not be able to help. If she purchased a retail copy of Windows XP and lost the disk, they're not going to replace it. If Windows came pre-installed on a computer she purchased, Microsoft offers no support or assistance at all. You'd have to contact the computer manufacturer to see if they will sell her a set of recovery disks for the computer. Otherwise, you need to find someone who has an OEM copy of Windows XP Professional. This site will not help with anything related to torrents.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A couple of options before buying a copy of XP. If it is a prebuilt PC from Dell, HP, Gateway, etc... check to see if it has a recovery partition. If that isn't an option look to see if there is an I386 folder with the installation files on the hard drive.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If that computer is a known factory brand one and came with Windows XP Professional pre-installed, you need to use the 25-digit product key that's on the Microsoft sticker and not the product key that you obtained with some program. The product key that you obtained may be the computer manufacturer's volume product key.

If it comes down to you having to de-clutter and disinfect and update that computer because you can't do a hard drive format and reinstall, let us know so we can assist you.

------------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!