1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to access Backup file from current windows config

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by turboeuro951, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. turboeuro951

turboeuro951 Thread Starter

I had vista 64 but it crashed. Everything was backed up. I installed windows 7 prof 64 on the machine and began to use it regularly. However, I was never able to recover any of the files in the vista back up image. I have tried to run a virtual machine with vista 64 on it to restore that backup file and get the files off of it but I am having problems with my BIOS not letting me run a VM. Is there anyway to access these compressed and locked files within my current configuration of windows 7 to extract them??? or can you only access a vista back up image on a vista OS. Please help me!!

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

You can mount that VHD file in Windows 7 to browse it, once mounted it will show up as a drive letter in Windows explorer.

http://kb.acronis.com/content/3504 ignore the Acronis info.

To unmount the VHD when you are done, go back to disk management and locate the mounted drive letter in the lower right pane, then on the very left of it where it says disk # basic xxxxgb online, left click and choose "detach VHD"

3. turboeuro951

not sure what to do here its not a .vhd file at all. It is called the name of my pc and its a folder with hundreds of compressed subfolders. There is nothing to mount. did I miss something?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I assumed you use the Vista backup tool.

What program was used to backup.

5. turboeuro951

I thought I did use vista backup tool, it was so long ago Im just not sure. Im pretty positive I did use it though.

6. antech

antech Banned

If you used the Vista Backup Tool, you will not be able to mount the image in VM

7. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

There are two types of backups:

1. Complete PC backup which would be a .vhd file(s) and associated xml files, all in a WindowsImageBackup folder that contains a folder named with the PC Name.
      Code:
      X:\WindowsImageBackup\<PC Name>\Backup <Date and Time>
      The VHD files will have a GUID type name, like 54efb561-8942-11de-9d5b-806e6f6e6963.vhd
    2. Backup my files type backup , which is just a backup of some files in a zip archive.
      Code:
      <PC Name>\Backup Set <Date and Time>\Backup Files <Date and Time>\Backup files [B][COLOR=Red]X[/COLOR][/B].zip
      Where X is a number
    Is the Vista backup folder on an external drive? It has to be in the root of the drive for Win 7 to find it. If it's not, and you can't move it, or you[ve copied it to an internal hard drive, you have to share the parent folder containing the backup folder, then browse to that parent folder.

In Win 7, launch the Backup and Restore program.
    Click Start, type Backup, select Backup and Restore from the list.
    Click Choose another backup to restore from.
    If the Backup folder is on the root of the external drive, it should find it automatically. If not, you have to share the parent folder, then browse to it by clicking the Browse network location... button

If you used Vista's Backup and Restore program to back up your files, it's actually just a bunch of zip files with a name/path like this:
    Code:
    <PC Name>\Backup Set <Date and Time>\Backup Files <Date and Time>\Backup files [B][COLOR=Red]X[/COLOR][/B].zip

Where X is a number
    Inside the Backup files X.zip files will be a folder named with the drive letter, which has the folders and files that were backed up for that drive. Not every drive will be in every folder.
    You should be able to open them in Win 7 just using Computer like any other zip file, then drag and drop the files you want. Just takes time to find the files.

8. antech

antech Banned

Didnt knew of that!
    Thanks alot TheOutcaste

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice