1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to assoc. email attachments (jpeg, etc.) with program to open them.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by willo, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willo

willo Thread Starter

Hello All,

Using OE6 on 98Se & unable to open attachements when double click on them. However, they are displayed in the text section.

Had been playing w/macromedia fireworks and my rcvd. attachment icons, in email, changed to FW. When I removed "fireworks" from system the icons reverted to default windows and when double clicked I get:

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in my computer by clicking view and then clicking folder options."

Also, when I forward attachment I'm informed by recipient:

"isp quarantined your messages, they said they were virus infected."

and from my provider:

Your message has been enqueued and undeliverable for 4 days
    to the following recipients:

Recipient address:
    Original address:
    Reason: unable to deliver this message after 4 days

The mail system will continue to try to deliver your message
    for an additional 3 days.

I'm not a novice but an experimenter and I'm forever downloading, removing, deleting and tearing things apart for investigation.

I'm inclined to believe I'm just overlooking something as I have no trouble opening files, pictures on the PC, etc. with PSP or Irfan.

All suggestions appreciated.

2. Grendal

Grendal

Well, have you tried selecting the "Folder Options..." option from the view menu in Windows Explorer? If you havn't then go there and select each IMG file that doesn't have an association, then click on the "Edit" button. You should be able to select an application to open it.

3. willo

willo Thread Starter

Hi Grendal,

Yes, I had gone there but wasn't sure how to associate an application and didn't want to screw it up further.

There are 4 areas requiring input and I havn't a clue where to put what, if you know what I mean.

Btw thanks for the help.

4. Miz

Miz

An easier way to establish a file association is to find a file of the type you want to open, hold down the shift key while right clicking on it, then choose "Open With."

From the list of programs, choose the one you want to use for that type of file. If you want all files of that type to open in that program from that point forward, put a check in the box near the bottom, "Always use this program...." Click OK.

That should do it...without all the hassle of editing stuff under Folder Options. ;)

If the recipient's ISP thinks the email you're sending is virus infected, maybe they know something. :) Have you done a complete system scan with an up-to-date antivirus program? There are several online...do a Google search for "online virus scan." Both Housecall and Panda work well.

5. willo

willo Thread Starter

Hello Miz,

For the original problem I had attempted to associate the files with a program to open them with Explorer, folder options, view with no success. Finally got tired of trying to figure it out and re-downloaded IE6 which has OE bundled w/it and it appears the problem has been corrected.

I have looked at your suggestion and I'll keep it in mind as a quicker way of associating a file w/a program.

Thanks much for your reply.

Willo

6. Deke40

Deke40

You could also go into Irfanview and do this.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. brindle

brindle

Willo
    Miz's way is not only eaiser but will associate all .eml,bmp,jpeg,gif,etc in every program with the association choice you made. The way to go, yep.

Irfanview is a great program, use it all the time.

8. slipe

slipe

I use the “Images only” button in the Irfanview setup. If you get some odd images that won’t open in Irfanview you can download and install the Irfanview plug-ins. Common file types don’t require the plug-ins and I prefer the Windows Media Player for anything but still images.

If you want to do it manually to open in programs you already have, you have to highlight the file first in Win98/ME before you Shift + right click. Miz’s instructions are for XP.

9. brindle

brindle

Slipe
    Didn't Miz say hold down the shift key and right click, choose open with? think she did! Is not that want you said for 98?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice