1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to automate power on and off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janlafata, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I've been busy putting together my first PVR (Personal Video Recorder) using an older motherboard and tower I had and Windows 7 Home Premium. The workstation is also part of my network too so I'll be able to watch internet video on my big screen TV.

I'm using a Hauppage TV tuner card and am going to set it up on Windows Media Center. I know everything is going to go off without a hitch but it hit me the other day...."If this is like a VCR, how am I going to schedule turning my machine off and on?"
    I mean Say for a show I want to record three days from now, I don't want to just leave it on all the time. If anything I may keep it in Hibernate or standby all the time, but still I'm not sure how I would "wake it up" to record something.

I did look into all the options in the BIOS but it's actually a confusing mix of options that none of which seem to have anything to really do with turning the PC on and a certain time. I also messed with one piece of software already called "Auto PowerOn And Off" and it didn't do anything. I still have a few others to try, but I'm not even sure if this is possible to do. I've also heard that I may be able to go through the task scheduler, but I'm unaware how to set that up.

Thanks in advance
    Jan LaFata

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I don't know how well vista handles it but set S3 or S4
    standby in the bios.
    Set the computer power down to standby.
    When you set a recording in media center it sets a
    scheduled task in task scheduler,so it should handle
    powering up for the recording automatically.
    If it is working properly,it should also power down when complete.
    I have an antec veris elite VFD display installed in my system
    that has a timer that can power up the system from complete
    shutdown with a built in timer or the remote control and
    has other functionality.
    If you want more control,something like that is something to
    consider.

3. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice...Just so I make everything BIOS-related clear I thought I would also post what's in the Power Options setting in my Phoenix Award BIOS, just in case something goes wrong with Plan A.! As I mentioned...my particular BIOS Power Options setup is somewhat confusing, or at least not all clear. I did switch my ACPI option to S3, but why does it say (STR) in parenthesis next to it?

No matter....Right under that are a bunch of options:
    Recall VGA BIOS From S3 (No)
    Suspend Time Out (Disabled)
    Power Button Function (Power Off)
    Restore On AC Power Loss (On)
    Wake Up Event Setup (Enter)

Now if you hit enter on Wake Up Event it will take you to another screen with more options:
    Resume From S3 by: USB
    Resume From S3 by P/S2 Hot Key
    Resume by P/S 2 keyboard
    Resume by PCI Device (PME#) (this one I wonder about)
    Resume by RTC Alarm

When you hit RTC Alarm it takes you to a simple calender screen where you can set the date of month and resume hour for, I'm assuming some kind of wake-up event. I'm actually testing it right now as I have the date set on 0 thinking that if I use 0 it might just come on at the time I program every day. We'll see how that goes. So I'm just trying to cover myself with everything in the BIOS setup properly so that the way you told me about Media Center setting up task scheduler goes off without a hitch too.

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

This should probably be standby.
    Power Button Function (Power Off)
    S3?

Change this to power off.
    You may lose a recording if there is a power failure but you
    don't need your computer running when no one is there.
    Restore On AC Power Loss (On)

One or the other of these.
    Resume From S3 by P/S2 Hot Key
    Resume by P/S 2 keyboard
    Using the second one,any key on the keyboard will wake the computer.

Disable resume by PCI.
    You don't want other PCI devices waking it up.

RTC usually,you can only set it for one time.
    That is not useful for scheduling multiple recording times.
    May be wrong on that one,that is all I have seen before.
    Not sure about yours if it has a calander.

Here are a couple of useful sites for media center...
    http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/87.aspx?Sort=Active&PageIndex=1
    http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/
    You can find third party plugins,tweaks and customisations

5. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

Thanks....And just to let you know...For my test, I set it to come on at 7PM and it did, but I can't remember if I put it in stndby mode first or if woke from shutdown... Like you say though we don't know if it will do that everyday but we'll see tomorrow. I'm also still unsure about just how far Task Scheduler can go. Can it actually wake a computer from standby or how about shut down a computer at a certain time?

I'm sure I'll know more once I configure Media Center...Thanks again for your input

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

RTC doesn't use the standby mode,it uses the bios clock.
    RTC stands for real time clock.
    It should turn on every day.
    What I am saying is that you may set recordings for different times and days
    so trying to use rtc for that may not work out.
    The scheduled tasks created by media center recordings should ideally
    turn the computer on and off.
    You can always set your own tasks from control panel/administrative tools/task scheduler,
    but that can get a bit complicated.
    Sorry for being a bit slow getting back to this post.
    My ISP is messing up my internet connection again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice