1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to Backup 20GB of Digital Images

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raeba, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raeba

raeba Thread Starter

I need a fast and reliable means of backing up 20 gigabytes of digital photos.

Have any great suggestions? I have a CD Burner and also a DVD burner (though slow and limited to 4.7GB a disk - expensive, but better than losing pics).

What will compress them without any problems with image quality/de-compression...?

Thanks a lot.

Raeba

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Nothing will, if they are already in a compressed format.

Any compression can only lose quality, as .jpg images are already a compressed format. Zipping a compressed file saves nothing either.

3. Cadet

Cadet

depends on how much you have to spend really :)

i personally would buy a spare 20gb HDD should only be around £20 - £15 or less. Then just pop that in as a 2nd hard drive.

if you dont have enough IDE cables to put it in as a secondary hard drive you could also get one of these bad boys ( we use them at work - very handy )

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfoZoom.asp?WebProductID=138544

Cadet

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Also, the term Backup refers to a second (or more) copy of the files, if you remove them from the primary location after the copy, they're not Backed up. :)

Personally, I prefer USB/Firewire external drives for off-line backups. They're portable to almost any machine, and your backups are not on-line all the time, avoiding possible disasters.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice