Need to broadcast network messages to certain users or groups

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gkimble

Account Disabled
I have done this with the NET SEND command before, but I need to send a message to a certain group or maybe 20 people at a time and the command line would take forever. Is there a free or cheap program out there that will do this for me ? Thanks !!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about a batch job?

<mymsg.bat>
net send user1 %1
net send user2 %1
net send user3 %1
net send user4 %1

You just type mymsg [message to send] and it sends them all.

gkimble

Account Disabled
Yes, but that would take forever. I found NTSend to be a free and good program. However, sending messages to the people running Win98 seems to be elusive. By the way, where do you go to stop and start services in 98 ?

You can't broadcast to Win98 since it has no messaging service. There are no services per se in Win98.

gkimble

Account Disabled
OK, so we'll have to upgrade those people. Now, what about the services ? There are services running, but your telling me there is no way to stop or start them in 98 ? Or even where to find them ?

There are NO services running in Win98. The definition of services does not apply, there are applications running in the background and you can only stop them from alt-ctrl-del unless you have an application that will do this.

gkimble

Account Disabled
Thanks RocKn. I learn something new everyday. By the way, is that .gif a self portrait ?

Yes it is...the chicks love the ears by the way so don't knock it!!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Originally posted by gkimble:
Yes, but that would take forever. I found NTSend to be a free and good program. However, sending messages to the people running Win98 seems to be elusive. By the way, where do you go to stop and start services in 98 ?
How does the batch job take forever? When I run one with 20 entries in it like that, it runs in a flash! I guess I don't understand what the problem is...

What he means is it would take him forever to write the batch file. Too labor intensive I guess.

gkimble

Account Disabled
No thanx, my friend. Do you live near Leichester ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online