1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to burn an xp startup disk onto a cd...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by macloverw/pc, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. macloverw/pc

macloverw/pc Thread Starter

howdy.
    i am in france. i was an idiot and left my startup disk at home and now my computer has crashed. it is running windows xp (though not at the moment).
    i have been able to find sites to download onto a floppy, but my laptop does not have one and since it is crashed there does not seem to be a way to install a new one. is there a link somewhere out there hiding that will allow me to burn a startup onto a cd?
    i will not be back home until july.. anyhelp would be appreciated.

thank you.:eek:

2. jnibori

jnibori

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Looks like those all have instructions for making floppies which you don't have.

Just boot from your XP CD instead.

4. jnibori

jnibori

Whoops, I think they are, sorry. I did not read through them very well.

I know th Knoppix is a bootable CD, and there's this one too, however I'm not sure if it will help or not.
    Ultimate Boot CD

BTW- Mr. Bob Cerelli, I've had your site bookmarked for a long time, and have found it very useful. Thank-you.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

But why burn anything new at all when the XP CD will already boot by itself.

6. jnibori

jnibori

I think he said he left his CD at home.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

So what's he going to do with a Knoppix or any other boot disk if he needs to install XP. Sounds like what he needs is the XP disk.

8. jnibori

jnibori

No doubt, the XP CD is the best solution, however as a work around -

Knoppix will allow him to view many of his saved documents and and upload them to a storage site if needed. Images too. Possibly even burn them, using the built-in burning software, however I have not been successful doing that lately. With Knoppix, he can also check email, via the server and surf the Web. If needed, create documents using their word processor.

With the Ultimate Boot CD, I was just going by their claims as a long shot.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And after booting with the Knoppix CD ... then what?

10. jnibori

jnibori

Not sure if this is what you meant, but...

Knoppix is a self-contained, portable (Linux) OS that runs entirely from the CD. I use it for emergencies. It boots into an easy to understand GUI.

HERE'S a screen image of an older version, but the layout is basically the same.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I realize Knoppix is a bootable CD that will let you boot to a Linux type.

But then what. For example, how does it help them reinstall XP without a XP CD? Pretty sure you can't do that from a Knoppix CD.

12. jnibori

jnibori

Just a work-around until July. Nothing more.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I'm still not sure how booting to a Knoppix CD is a workaround. Maybe you could explain the next steps using this method to to a reinstall of XP.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think he's suggesting that he use Knoppix to run, I'm pretty sure he knows that you can't install XP with it.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

To run what? Knoppix?

The computer has crashed and needs to have XP either installed or reinstalled (depending on the level of the crash).

How will running Knoppix help in resolving this problem. Again specifics would be helpful.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/448093