1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to buy a new computer - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SBCA, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SBCA

SBCA Thread Starter

Price is not as much an issue as is the operating system. I DO NOT want Windows Vista, but I want IE7. Don't want Firefox.

I use my computer for managing my ecommerce website, which includes tons of photos and graphics. I also use it for voluminous email correspondence. I also watch a lot of videos for entertainment purposes.

I don't do any gaming.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to brand and what hardware I should have? If I have to buy a computer with Vista, can I purchase Windows XP SP2 or Professional in the box, uninstall Vista and install XP?

Would appreciate hearing any ideas, thoughts. Thank you.

2. AustinM

AustinM

3. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me

Building your own would be the most cost effecient and you'll learn a great deal. I'm going to be building my first soon. There's just a few loose ends on the parts I need clearing up. I'm making this computer for gaming, and I know you won't be gaming, but you say you do tons of photo and graphics work, so you'll want something similar to a gaming machine.
    RAM
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail
    $54.99
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ - Retail
    $129.99
    OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR8002GK - Retail
    $90.99, but $55.99 after mail in rebate.

Hard Drive
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP2504C 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    $62.99

CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
    $279.99

Power Supply
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply - Retail
    $119.99

Cooling
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler - Retail
    $64.99
    OR to save money:
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail
    $24.99

Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    $129.99

Case
    Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-BA Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
    $69.99

Graphics Card
    PNY VCG88512GXPB G92 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 PureVideo HD Technology HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
    $269.99 – Out of stock.
    OR
    Amazon.com: PNY XLR8 8800GT 512MB DDR3 Graphics Card: Electronics
    $249.99 – Out of stock.
    Still looking for an in stock GT.

Operating System
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition FULL VERSION with SP2
    $191.49

I plan on overclocking the cpu, so I havent got cooling figured out yet. You'll probably need to play with this stuff alot, but again this is just me. I'm pretty sure they sell OEM Operating Systems, so that will be cheeper. I haven't looked into it yet.

4. brite750

brite750

find a good quality mom&pop store in your area and get a build from them, post your area and we will give it a look. this way you can get a pc w/o vista and fine tune the spec to your needs, also service is local if you need it. You may spend a little more up front but I think you will find it worth it.

5. brite750

brite750

IE8 doesnt even exist and will undoubtedly require Vista

6. SBCA

SBCA Thread Starter

Thank you. I meant IE7 not IE8. The geek I use here locally (Santa Barbara, CA) built me a computer about 3 years ago and we think the hard drive is shot. I just thought I would be better off with a new name brand computer, but maybe not. I am not to keen on the idea of using him again to build a new computer. So if anyone can recommend a computer builder here in Santa Barbara, that would be great.

Many thanks.

7. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

Building your own computer will save you a lot of money, and it gives you much more flexibility.
    Hard Drive
    You say you have a lot of photos and archives and such- you will probably want a really nice hard drive. Your hard drive changes depending on exactly how much space you will need, but here is a fast and large hard drive for only $150- 10,000RPM, 150gigs.

CPU
    What exactly do you mean by "managing my ecommerce website"? Are you using this computer as a server, or merely as a terminal that will be controlling the server?
    If you are using it as a server, you will probably want a quad-core CPU. You will probably want one like this.
    If you are not using it as a server, which I believe is what you meant, you will want at least two cores. this is a pretty nice CPU- probably much faster than you need. For only $80 you can get this AMD Athlon 4200. It is slower, but is loads cheaper.

Graphics Card
    Since you won't be doing much gaming, you don't need a high-end card at all. this card is a pretty low end card, but is dirt cheap at $30, and is probably all you need. For $20 more, you can get this card, which is quite a bit faster (64-bit versus 32-bit).

Power Supply
    this 450-Watt PSU should be more than enough power for you.

Operating System
    XP Pro x64. Don't go with 32-bit XP. The x64 version will be worth it. I suggest you use Linux, but you seem pretty set on XP.

RAM
    You will probably want some faster RAM if you plan on doing a lot of photo managing and archiving, but you don't need gamer RAM, so 667 Mhz should be fine. here is 2gigs of fairly cheap 667 RAM.

Case and Motherboard-
    What motherboard you get depends largely on what CPU you decide to get. Just make sure it has the following: PCI-E, SATA connectors, DDR2 slots, the correct CPU socket, hyperthreading support, 64-bit support.
    Your case depends on what motherboard you get- if it is an ATX motherboard, you will want a case that holds ATX mobos.

8. SBCA

SBCA Thread Starter

Thank you so much!!!!!! What I meant by managing my ecommerce site is that I am the webmaster/owner/operator. I do a lot of uploading of photos from my photo editor to my FTP program. My website is hosted by a local company on their servers.

I want an accomplished builder, but I don't want to go through the yellow pages, unless I have to. Do you (or anyone else out there reading this) know of a talented builder here in Santa Barbara who can build the computer. Or do you ever build computers for people and ship them to the customer?

Thank you again for the response(s) to my posts.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you really need a new computer? The things you use it for aren't taxing or resource-intensive.

10. brite750

brite750

Xi Computer Corporation, 980 Calle Negocio, San Clemente, CA 92673, USA
    if you are close enough to these folks they custom build fantastic pcz
    http://www.xicomputer.com/index.asp

11. SBCA

SBCA Thread Starter

No I probably don't need a new computer. What bothers me is that I don't have Windows XP so I can't upgrade to IE7. My computer is:
    • AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+ AT/AT Compatible 490,996 KB RAM
    • Hard Drive: HDS722512VLAT80 with 115 GB (I've got 103GB left)
    • System: Windows 2000, 5.00.2195, SP4

I'm having endless problems of every conceivable type. So I thought I should start from scratch especially when the guy who built this computer 3 years ago told me that the hard drive is probably shot.

Any thoughts? At this point, I would offer anything (and I do mean ANYTHING - teehee) to stop the madness.

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

So instead of just a bad hard drive you multiple other system problems? Related to hardware? Or just your Windows install?

In any case, if you want Windows XP, your options for pre-built systems is limited, and if you build your own you need to be sure Windows XP drivers are available from every component (unless Waldo checked everything in the list for you).

13. GripS

GripS

That's still a very capable machine for what you are using it for. Probably just get another hard drive with an OEM copy of Windows XP pro would be best. I'm betting your local Geek can walk you through installing the hard drive and loading Windows XP.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/652297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice