1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to change Bios settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oskanewtaa, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oskanewtaa

oskanewtaa Thread Starter

:confused:
    Im not sure what I am supposed to do with this whole thing so I'm just going to tell everyone what I need help with and maybe someone can save me.
    After having extensive problems with my sound I was advised to get a new sound card. I had it installed and my sound still does not work after calling the tech support people for my sound card they said i need to chage my bios settings so that the computer will read my new sound card ... or something like that. :confused: I am totally new with conputers so if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. Thankyou so much. Crystal

2. techychick

techychick

Did you uninstall the previous sound card prior to installing the new one?

Try uninstalling and when you reboot see if Windows recognizes it then

3. wizzy2k5

wizzy2k5

Personally I have never needed to change any bios setting when installing any new sound card and I will agree with techychick un-install the old drivers then install the new ones, if that does not work check your volume settings

start - all programs - accessories - entertainment - volume control

if anything is on mute then un-mute it and set it to a resonable volume, also note when removing old drivers re-boot your pc to finish the un-install.

The most you should need to do in the bios is disable the on-board sound so have a look in your bios and look for on-board audio and disable that, to get into the bios press del upon start up and it should come up with a blue screen and it will say bios somewhere at the top (or something similar) if del does not work try F2 as I have seen that before.

If ya need anymore help let us know

4. SB305

SB305

Was the new card installed professionally and the PC returned to you still faulty? If so, the repairer should put it right and not leave you to sort out the hassle.
    If that's not possible, changing the BIOS setting as described by cyclops2k5 is no big deal. If you need to reinstall the new card, it's best to follow exactly the instructions in the card's manual and/or installation disk which you should have received.
    It's always possible that the card itself is faulty.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!