1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to change boot/system drive ltr assignment

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrubin, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrubin

mrubin Thread Starter

So here's the problem. Had a nice clean install of XP Home running perfectly on a new P4 Canterwood system, with an old Maxtor HD. Thought I'd upgrade to an 80 GB WD Caviar special edition. Installed the new HD, initialized and formatted thru disk management into two partiitons, which were assigned G and H (C, D old HD; E, F, CD/RW). Copied all of C to G, using the WD Data lifeguard tools.

Reconfigured the WD from slave to master, and tried to boot into XP, figuring no problem, since entire content of the old C drive had been copied; no go. Boot hung every time at the blue Windows XP screen, after the black XP boot screen w/ the green running bar indicator. not promising.

So I do a repair reinstall. The path shown for the current installation is C:\Windows, as I'd expect since the new HD was the only drive connected. Repair reinstall goes smoothly, boots fine, most settings are saved, so far so good; but then I notice that NONE of the installed programs will run, because path names can't be found. Also found it odd that in Windows Explorer view, all of the folder ocons that should be on the left pane were missing. The names of the folders, discs etc were still there, but no icons.

Very strange. I go back to disk management, and lo and behold, XP has carried over the name of the first partition as G!! Not surprising that nothing will run, when all apps are still looking for a C:\ path, and the actual boot/system drive letter is G. So I try to rename G: to C:, only to have a dialog pop up informing me that Windows cannot rename the boot or system drive.

And thus to my plight: how do I rename the G drive to properly show as C? Is there a registry key or DOS trick I can do (being almost completely ignorant of DOS commands, mind you)? Or am I going to have to copy everything currently on boot partition to the H drive, wipe G entirely, reformat and reinstall Windows and all apps yet again?

Needless to say, I'd rather not have to go thru with that. So if anyone can tell me how to rename the boot partition, i'd be eternally (well, almost) grateful.

Help.

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

Sorry, but as far as know, you cannot do what you want. An imperfect remedy is to open regedit (if XP has it) and do a replace for all instances of "c:\" to "G:\". Between the OS and the BIOS the large drive is referenced to G and you cannot change the designation of the System Drive. You might have done better to make a ghost image of the c drive and place it on the second partition of the new drive. Then, remove the original drive and restore the ghost image onto the new "c" partition. That is what I did with w2k and it worked like a champ.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!