Need to change password.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thissal

I recently bought a new emachine with Windows XP Media Edition. I went somewhere in windows explorer and added a password to restrict access to the computer :( Now he has figured out the password :mad: so I need to change the password, but I can't remember / find anywhere where I did that. Could someone please help me?:confused:

I'm running several anti-spyware programs and AVG anti virus, but I don't think that is relevant info.

Many thanks in advance.

does the password come on when the computer first boots up or at the normal windows log on screen if its when it first boots up im sure u change it in the bios settings

thissal

When I go to Start --> administrative tools --> computer management --> local users & groups to try to change the password, it warns to do so will cause data loss. That's why I'm nervous about this change.

I inherited another computer (deceased relative) and it was a nightmare because I didn't have the administrative passwords.

DoubleHelix

Banned
Don't change it there. Go to Control Panel, User Accounts. Click on the account you want to change the password on, and select the option to change it. You do this while logged into the account you want to change the password for.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online