1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to change permission

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lg12345, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lg12345

lg12345 Thread Starter

Hi,

How do i change the permission of a folder that has been created on the desktop in windows 7? I created a folder but the default permission for it is read-only. I want to change it to read/write.

2. valis

valis Moderator

since you created it, you already own that folder; right click it and untick the 'read only' box in the properties.

3. lg12345

lg12345 Thread Starter

Thanks. Seems to be too simple. I did that. I right clicked the folder and opted to uncheck the read-only option. Then I clicked on 'apply' and 'ok'. I closed the folder and again right clicked it and went to 'property' and I see 'read-only' option checked again. So, is there any option that can change the permission of the folder permanently?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think you will find that ALL folders are Read only, and the files within them are NOT.

5. lg12345

lg12345 Thread Starter

I have full control because I am the owner of the machine/server. So I am able to create sub folders in that main folder. But Oracle is not able to write the dump files in to that folder. Because of which I am unable to perform the import operation using datapump tool in oracle.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Then change to properties to "Authenticated User" and then there should be no problem.

By the way you as a member of the Admin Group does NOT have FULL control, on the built in Administrator account that type of control.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice