1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to copy '98 to 5 1/4"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by workinonit, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. workinonit

workinonit Thread Starter

I was given an old laptop and the operating system appears to have been run into a lamp post. I have win98 here on cd that I'd like to install but the laptop only has a 3 1/2" disk drive available. How can I copy the win 98 cd to small disks so I can install it on the laptop?

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

That would take an eternity. For all man hours please get an external cdrom driver or put a drive in it or attempt a network install. With an old laptop like that it may not even be able to use win98 very well what are it's specs.
    Win98 would take up WAAAY to many floppy disks. It's possible but it would take forever to setup and even longer to install. :eek:

3. workinonit

I was afraid of that...I think 95 won't run most of the stuff I need on it. This may be the time to fold a losing hand. It's only a 486 and most of what I'd need it for needs a lot more than that anyway.

Thanks, guess I just needed confirmation on a lost cause.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

For about $5, you can get an adapter that will let you connect your laptop's hard drive to a regular IDE cable. Then you can just copy the entire OS source files from the other computer to your laptop's hard drive (along with whatever else you might need).

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

And run it on a super old computer with a 486, you must be kidding.
    ps, 486's would really hurt performance, i'm not even sure its doable.
    And the ram in that system, must be only like 8 mb or at most 16. Well that wouldn't do good.
    I'd see if you could get a legal windows 3.1 floppy setup. You wouldn't be able to do much.
    Good computer to mess with.

6. workinonit

I have 3.1 and the win95 upgrade for that machine. From what I gather, the previous owner tried to reinstall 3.1 on top of 95 and thus the mess I have. As it stands I can't get it to accept either set of disks.

7. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

if you have the complete standalone floppy disk set of windows 3.1, you could do a repartition/reformat and then put win3.1 on it if it will recognize the floppies, boot from one and then be able to install. Just hope the floppies aren't damaged.
    Like we say a cdrom install of win 3.1 would be ok, it would work fine on that laptop, you just gotta get a cdrom drive to work for it.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

This 2.5" to 3.5" IDE Adapter will do the trick. Bob is onto the right solution, it's by far the quickest and easiest way to do this job.

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Yes, but don't forget it won't be win98 ur installing, thats where bob got me, the adapter will do the trick for saving time tho.

10. workinonit

Okay, I'd love to be doing the adaptor thingy but it'll be a while before I get to the city so I've gone through DOS, deleted windows and am in the never-ending process of "please insert the disk labeled Microsoft Windows 3.1 Disk #3 into Drive A:". From here I'll go to the 95 upgrade and I guess I'll stop there, win the lottery and buy a new one.

Thanks for all your help everyone. There must be SOMETHING I can do in 95. :)

11. workinonit

P.S.

I can't believe I still remember DOS commands!

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

I've pretty much got dos burnt into my mind, it won't go away. As far as a new laptop, you can still get older ones but quite better than the one you are working for for nothing to cheap. (the most i'd pay for an older one is $100)
    Win 3.1 can still do email and web browsing, but if you can run win95 stably and quick enough then i'd use it.
    If not win 3.1 should run *fast* on that laptop.

13. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I do think it will iXneonXi, or at least should.
    I have installed 95 and 98se on P90 and P150(?) Toshiba's with out floppy drives and non bootable CD roms by using the adapter and another desk computer to do the major install and finish up attaching the HD back into the Laptop to finish the hardware install.
    There might be a problem getting 98se on a 486 since there is no co-processor.I've read it can be done, but runs very slowly and may have limitations(of what I don't remember)
    But 95 should be doable this way.

Jack

14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

I KNOW it's doable, but the results are unwanted and would be better to stick with the older operating systems. Putting winxp on a system with 32mb ram and only a 233mhz processor is "doable" but who would??

15. Stoner

Stoner Banned

And what is the problem with Win95 on a 486?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice