1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to copy '98 to 5 1/4"

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by workinonit, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A while before you get to the city? :confused: What's wrong with mail-order?

2. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Stoner, no problem with win95 on a 486, win98se tho may lag severely. Like putting XP on a quit underpowered machine tho it says its possible. I wouldn't.
    No prob with 95 on a 486, may be slow tho.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I ran W98 on a 386-40, it worked fine. You obviously can't expect the performance of a 3.2ghz P4, but it's quite sufficient for mundane stuff. How soon we forget the days of the 8 bit processor and text-only applications. :)

4. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

But w/ that laptop it may only have like 8mb ram. Since laptops during that time with a 486 usually came with 8-16mb ram. Win98se runs on 32 ok, but its kinda slow. Image on a 16mb system.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Sounds like a discussion of the different between bad and really bad.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

Yah. Puttin 95 on a 8mb (or even 16) is kinda bad. Using win98se on a 16 is like really bad as in windows media player would never work right etc.
    And then the 486.
    So if ur gonna utilize that old laptop install win3.1, get some win3.1 apps, and then it'll work actually at a decent speed.
    I have an old 386, 8mb ram, win3.1 flies on it. It can run navigator (web browser) and lotus suite quite fine.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice