1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to D/L SP1 and up on isolated machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikedublin, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikedublin

mikedublin Thread Starter

I'm having a similar problem - I have a Windows XP home edition that is not currently connected to the internet. I had to restore it to its factory settings and i need to find a way to download service pack 1 to a usb pod via another computer. Then transfer the usb to the laptop and re-install sp 1 on it.

I tried downloading sp 2 and 3 but they need sp1 to be on the laptop first. I would be very grateful for any advice on where to download sp1 so I can transfer it to a usb pod. Thanks

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy mike, welcome to TSG, I'm going to split this off into it's own thread.

thanks,

v

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mike:

Here is the Microsoft download link for the SP1a express install file.

I've never used it, so I don't know what it does and how well it works.

If you're able to successfully get Windows XP Home Edition to upgrade to SP1a, you can bypass the SP2 upgrade and install the SP3 upgrade.

You might also want to read my Windows XP install guide.

----------------------------------------------------------

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Express install downloads the service pack, you want the full network install for an offline computer.

You don't need SP1, install SP2 as SP2 is a full cumulative service pack that includes everything in SP1, and then you can install SP3.

SP2: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Rob:

Thanks for jumping in.

I wasn't aware that you can upgrade from Windows XP original to SP2 and then to SP3.

Hopefully, Microsoft will keep both links open for the SP2 and SP3 network installs.

--------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!