1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to dual boot Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Nicket_11, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nicket_11

Nicket_11 Thread Starter

I want to use Windows 8 Pro and Ubuntu 13.04 on a single machine.How do I achieve this in a stable manner?
    I want to use Ubuntu as a backup OS if Windows 8 ever crashes.Kindly suggest the best possible and optimum solution with detailed steps.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I didn't read the guide real closely, but I think it only covers MBR disks. If you have a GPT hard drive and UEFI there's more to the story.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

This is the guide you want
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

It is not without risk and if 8 was pre-installed then it is UEFI firmware and GPT partitioned drive and therefore you cannot install Ubuntu unless you use the procedure outlined.

Do not try Ubuntu WUBI as it is not compatible with UEFI and GPT
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

The important point is this

Having a PC with EFI firmware does not mean that you need to install Ubuntu in EFI mode. What is important is below:
    • if the other systems (Windows Vista/7/8, GNU/Linux...) of your computer are installed in EFI mode, then you must install Ubuntu in EFI mode too.
    2. To install Ubuntu in EFI mode:
    • Use a 64bit disk of Ubuntu and the link to the Ubuntu site also explains this
    My advice is to ensure you have a complete image - to return to if necessary BEFORE you start any procedure of installing Ubuntu

If the computer is a desktop or a laptop with facility for a second hard drive the safest way of course is to install Ubuntu on a separate drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!