Need to edit registry but cant boot windows...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

antonm

So tried to deal with spyware attack and screwed myself over hard. I deleted the registry key for userinit.exe and need to put it back in.

At the moment the computer will load to the login screen, if I select a profile it will load a little bit and then go back to the login screen.

Now this is an issue because I have no login disk / cd or anything, its not networked (just wifi but thats not going to help). If i put back in a registry key in the right place this will work again! so annoying! Also I suspect my cd drive doesnt work...

I have other laptops only, no desktops so not sure how to slave the drive (whatever this is) without finding someone to help me through it...

Help!

Ent

Josiah
Trusted Advisor
This isn't an easy problem to resolve, but perhaps one of these would help. Never having had occasion to do so I probably can't resolve any problems with them.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
http://lifehacker.com/5584762/edit-the-windows-registry-from-a-linux-thumb-drive

If you do get your computer back up and running, I strongly suggest that you ask in the malware forum here for help sorting out the original issue. Be sure to follow the instructions in the sticky "everyone must read this before posting in this forum".

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online