Need to expand my network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kbfresh

I currently have a 4 port router/switch (my broadband connection is shared using this router).

I have run out of ethernet ports to connect my computers, Print Server, etc.

What do I need to add more ethernet ports to my network? A Switch?

What's the difference between a hub and a switch?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

To connect them you have a few options depending on the type of switch you get.

1. If it auto senses the type of connection, you can use a straight through cat5 cable and connect the two with plain old ethernet cable.

2. If not and one has an uplink port, use that.

3. If not, use a crossover cable.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There is actually one reason to use a hub, though I suspect it's not needed here. :) I occasionally pull out the hub and replace my switch when I want to monitor network traffic on the whole network from one machine. Obviously, it has an effect on performance, but you do get to see all the traffic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online