1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

need to extract in command prompt...help;

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jou812, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

I have tried all of those before and no work. What happend was i went into ie repair .. and before I knew it I hit the reconfigure to previous .. then it restarted and it went to 4.1 or 4.7 ,, ie .. or something.. I don't remember.. but I figured i would just reinstall when It restarted. But it didn't .

I get the explorer has caused a error in Browseui.dll and will now close... .. click it and it closes. I get wallpaper and nothing else.. ctrl-alt-del... shows antivirus an delvdr 16 .. .. when in safe it just does the same.and adds the help ctr is causing a error and will now close as well.. . so knowing I have deleted the browser I should just be able to extract the original browser...ie5.5 from my ME disk.. only one problem... I don't exactly know how to do that .. and some of the scripting at the ms site does not work in my application... I am running ME .. Zone alarm freeware... pc-cillin.. the cleaner.. secure lock.. and a few minor other things.. I have A 40 gig hd and 512 mb.. A09 bios on a dimension L800r .. pentium 3 ... 16xdvd.. optical mouse..... what I figure is I am having a conflict in my downloads comparing to my browser which has been reset and is not allowing my pc to even start as it is causing errors.. I was running 6.0. but I went back to 5.5 with no problems for weeks.. and was just running the repair as it had been a few weeks since I have made sure all is well and I fell asleep at the keyboard and woke up and hit the button while it was sitting at the reconfigure by accident.. Moral,,,,,, Go to bed when your tired... sigh...

NEED HELP!!!! from the command prompt!!!!

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What happens if you press the Windows key on the keyboard? Is the Start Menu displayed and if so, can you get to a Windows "Run" line? If you can get to a "Run" line in Windows, try this command,

c:\progra~1\intern~1\ie6setup.exe

3. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

4. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    What does happen if you press the Windows key?

5. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

a whole lot of nothing...course when I press it may make a difference.. is there any point at which I should press it as opposed to not...

6. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I know nothoing about Win ME. However, if you need to reinstall IE 5.5, can you do an overinstall of the OS using your original Install CD?

7. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Not really, but I'm assuming your pressing it after you've responded to the Windows error message and you have nothing but the wallpaper displayed on the desktop. Is that when your pressing it?

8. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

before-during-after ..
    all of the above.. mosaic .. I can't get explorer to open my pc to do that.. like the cd isn't being recognized.. brian.. yes .. just desk top wall paper is showing..

9. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

ctrl-alt-delete .. is the only thing working at the latter point.

10. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

but ctrl alt delete is opening the box and not just killing it.. but the box is empty except for the delvdr 16 and pccillin....

11. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

am checking

12. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Not sure if Windows ME has these .exe programs but do this and let us know what you find. Boot to the Windows ME boot diskette and take the option for "Minimal Boot". Once you have an a:\> prompt do this

dir c:\winfile.exe /s

Does it find winfile.exe?

dir c:\progman.exe /s

How about progman.exe, does it find it?

13. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

on the first one yes.. on the second one gives me directory of c file not found.... but a resounding yes on the wmeexe

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Just to be 100 percent sure, is that a typo when you mentioned Wmeexe? Were you able to find Winfile.exe ?

15. Jou812

Jou812 Thread Starter

winfile comes up with winfile exe 155,424 . 1 file 155,424 .. 0 files 30,470.84 free .. I have a 40 gb hdd.. last check before this was using around 7-8 gig... so that sounds about right...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63288

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice