1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to Fdisk/format w/ cd rom for WinXP Pro ERROR CODE 7 When using Recovery Console

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xrayeyes2u, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xrayeyes2u

xrayeyes2u Thread Starter

I am trying to do a fdisk & format but I don't have access to a floppy drive (I am fixing a friend's laptop).
    The computer is running on WinXP Pro and only has a CD Rom.
    I have tried to go into Recovery Console as well as Win XP Pro Setup utilizing the Win XP Pro disk - I get the following errors:

Trying to use Recovery Console the error is:
    File \CMDCONS\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7
    Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

Trying to use Windows Setup the error is:
    File \$WIN_NT$.~BT\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7. Setup cannot continue. Press any key to exit.

I have also tried to just do a fresh install using Win XP Cd but it will not finish loading....it goes to Preparing for install then shuts the computer down.

Any ideas??
    Thanks,
    Georgia

2. ezymony

ezymony

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless? Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete partitions and recreate the ones you want and proceed to formating and installing XP

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up.

This is a good guide to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print it for reference during the install.

http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm

You will have to reload drivers (Chipset first) and applications, After the installation, you will need to download and install SP-2, while windows is clean. Prior to connecting to the internet be sure you enable the XP firewall.

wrs

4. klnaj

klnaj

Try other Window XP cd. This might help to solve the problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/340708