Need to finalize a DVD

chcuk4

I have a DVD that I was recording on a Panasonic recorder/player when it conked out. Is there a way to finalize it to use on other DVD players?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'd try using the free handbrake to rip the good mp4s off the dvd.
Then make a new DVD.

chcuk4

I installed Handbrake. How do I get the data to the program for conversion? When I choose "open source", I get a message from Windows that it doesn't recognize anything on the DVD.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sounds like nothing is there ???
I'd suggest trying a good DVD and see if you used the right procedures

chcuk4

Thanks for the replies. When you record to a disc on a DVD recorder, is the data immediately on the disc, or does it stay in the recorder until finalization burns it to the disc?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Good question ?
Does/did your Panasonic DVD start turning when beginning to copy ??
When I make a DVD ... it takes some time encoding the video ... before copying.
What do you see when exploring the DVD ???

chcuk4

I remember that it took a while to finalize and made noises when it was doing this. I can't explore the DVD, Windows won't open it. It gives me a message that says: Windows can't read the disc in Drive E:\ Make sure the disc uses a format that Windows recognizes. If the disc is unformatted, you need to format it before using it.

Oddba11

Jim
You can usually tell how much data was burned on the disc by looking at the bottom. And finalizing is the last step after all of the data is written. That is when the FAT gets updated so that other hardware can see/find the data that was written.

In any case, until the disc is finalized, it often cannot be read by other hardware. And it typically requires the software/hardware which burned the disc to finalize it.

chcuk4

I think I've already come to the conclusion that I'm out of luck. It was burned on a Panasonic DMR EZ47V. It quit working and most of the problems and error codes I have found says that it is probably a blown condenser. I took it apart but did not see any condensers with a bulged top. That is what I read to look for. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Oddba11

Jim
It could likely be repaired. You have to decide if the repair cost is worth the investment.

There are also used ones available from multiple sources. Again, you have to decide if they are worth the investment.

Personally, I'd move on to a current solution, hardware or other. But that's just me. I don't mind using hardware until it dies. And assuming it had a long life, there are usually newer, better options available when it needs to be replaced.

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I found some possible ways to resolve your issue with unfinalized Panasonic recorded DVD in an old discussion on another website. An number of people were able to use a free version of IsoBuster software to extract the data off the DVD to the hard drive even though Windows could not read the disc. They then had various degrees of success with different apps to combine the raw extracted data to make it playable. Your Mileage May Vary.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/253701-Pulling-data-from-an-unfinalized-DVD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online