1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to fix it

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by almostsmart, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. almostsmart

almostsmart Thread Starter

After not using my old IBM laptop for a couple of months I booted it up and received this message:

"The Microsoft Windows 32-bit disk driver (WDCTRL) cannot be loaded. There is unrecognizable disk
    software installed on this computer.
    The address that MS-DOS uses to communicate with the hard disk has been changed. Some software, such
    as disk-caching software, changes this address.
    If you aren't running such software, you should run a virus-detection program to make sure there is no
    virus on your computer.
    To continue starting Windows without using the 32-bit disk driver, press any key."

This is a IBM ThinkPad 755cd with 486 (I know its old but its a pet :D ) Win95
    No Win 95 disks. The HDD shows file system FAT not sure if it was set up with FAT32 or not. Device manager is showing Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller with the ever so popular yellow ! present. This device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed (Code 10)

Anyone have a fix?

Thanks for your help. (y)

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Try installing the driver for the HD Controller.

Windows 95 from what I remember does not support FAT32 however Windows 95 OSR2 does. Do you have Win 95 OSR2?

Also do you remember the last thing you did before you left it alone?

3. Rockn

Rockn

32-bit dsk access is from the old DOS, Win3.x days and is probably only there because the laptop was upgraded from Win3 to Win95. It was normally loaded from one of the configuration files win.ini or system.ini Win95 shouldn't need this to run so disabling or bypassing it shouldn't keep Windows from loading.

4. almostsmart

Thanks Tidus & Rockn

Have 95 I believe not 95 OSR2

Don't see any reference or call in the win.ini or system.ini files unless I don't recognize it.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Try looking in the autoexec.bat file too.

6. almostsmart

Thanks
    Looked in autoexec.bat also.

Another problem and this has been ongoing for quite a while. Start/Run when you type the first letter or two of what to run there is a error in SHDOCVW.DLL. Does anyone know if a downloaded one can be installed without any problems or will it lack entries particular to this computer?

Will be away until tomorrow pm then will check back.

Thanks All!

7. almostsmart

I'm back. No responses?

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    SHDOCVW.DLL is a system file. Prehaps search for the file in the Windows CAB files on your OS CD.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Almostsmart, I see you reported this and indicated it had become unactive :confused:

I see a reply posted yesterday with no response from you.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice