1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to format my harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vegastech, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

Need to rebuild my computer. Currently has Windows 2000, but my son was messing with it, and it keeps locking up. I do not need anything on (already backed up the few documents I need). I was told by a friend to reformat the harddrive and reload Window 2000. I am new to this. I went to RUN, typed in CMD and then typed format C: It tells me it can't format because it is in use (I assume because Windows is running).
    So how do I reformat?
    I know this is probably simple to everyone else, but again...I am new so forgive me if this sounds dumb.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Set your boot order in your bios setup to cd first....then restart with the 2K cd in the drive......

3. BTS '76

BTS '76

yup, because windows 2000 dosen't have a true command prompt.

get your hands on a windows 98 boot disk, put it in the machine, and reboot. At the A promt, type in format C:

boot disks

just download into a folder, and then copy it to a floppy.

wow, candy you beat me to it!!

4. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

Thanks, Candy and BTS!

Candy - I understand your suggestion - to change the order because it will try to reboot from the floppy first. But like I said, I am new to this and do not know how to change the bios.

BTS - thanks for the link. I am copying and creating the 98 boot disk now, and will try it in a few minutes.

5. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

BTS or Candy
    Downloaded the 98 boot disk, copied to floppy. rebooted windows 2000 pc with floppy in,
    it comes up that C is not a valid FAT or FAT32 drive, may need partioning or a virus, or using 3rd party partitioning. If I enter format C: at the A prompt, it sends is is not supported.
    HELP!

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm thinking the 2K cd should be bootable.

To access bios setup, there is a key to press, usually DEL, but it can be F 1 or F 2, if it is a Compaq :eek: machine, it's F 10. Once there look for boot order.

Take the floppy out....just try the cd first....and I think a 98 boot disk will tell you that as you have 2K on it and it's NTFS, not FAT. Probably would be better to download the 2K disk, if you are going to try that route.

7. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

Sorry to be dumn - its a compaq. Press f10 when? on startup? I tried and nothing happened. Can I just make a Windows 2000 boot disk ? I saw something about it on Microsoft's website. Will that work and let me format from it?

8. mobo

mobo

As soon as you power up then look under advanced Bios setup for first boot device. Set it to cdrom , press esc to exit then f10 to save then reboot with the w2k cd in the drive and click enter when booting if prompted..

9. vegastech

vegastech Thread Starter

You guys are way more advanced than me. First time I have EVER tried to do this. I am really confused. I know that I can reinstall from the CD rom. I already tried it, and WIndows 2000 loaded. I asked for Fresh install. But when everything is all done, I look at my c drive and there is still s*** from the original install of windows. That is what I wanted to get rid of and why I was trying to reformat the drive, and then load Windows 2000 again.
    Per your advice, motherboard, I powered up (both with 98 floppy in and without). I do not know how to find advanced bios setup. But if all we are trying to do is see if WIndows 2000 cd is bootable, I already know it is and it will reload Windows 2000. It just doesn't get rid of everything else.

10. mobo

mobo

Take out the floppy please

11. mobo

mobo

When you get to the Partition screen be sure to first delete all partitions via hitting the instructed key on the bottom of the screen first before installing.

12. BTS '76

BTS '76

Duh:eek: , sorry about that vegastech, forgot it was NTFS. Listen to these guys (gals) they'll get it straighten out.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here are step by step instructions for installing win2k. Note there is never a need to use win9x / dos utilites such as a win9x boot disk. They are not nt based utilites and have limited use anyway.

1) Set boot order in the bios to cd rom as first boot device [sounds like you have done that already]
    2) Restart computer with win2k cd in the cd drive
    3) You may see a message to “press any key to boot from cdrom” do so if instructed
    4) After setup loads you will be given a menu; choose to install
    5) Setup will detect hard drives and partitions on the drive choose to install to whatever partition you want. Now setup will give you another menu giving the option to delete the partition do so. Repeat this for each partition on your disk.
    6) Now choose to create a partition; note if you want more than 1 you will have to type in the size you want. Use the backspace key to erase the size that is already there. If you want just one partition, then accept the size listed.
    7) Setup will give you the option as to file system to use [if the disk is <32 gig if it is >32 gig the only option given is ntfs] format with the file system of choice. I always recommend ntfs, however that is up to you.
    8) After setup is done formatting, it will start installing win2k.

Install in this order
    1) Operating system
    2) Service pack 4 if your disk does not have sp4
    3) Chipset / motherboard drivers
    4) Other drivers such as nic, sound, raid,
    5) Install video driver last.
    6) Now install apps and games.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice