1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to free space on D: drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by janai, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janai

janai Thread Starter

How can I free space on my D: drive? I have a total of 999 GB used and only 296 MB free. I have not downloaded much, but all of my space is being eaten up. What can I do? Please Help.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

What exactly is your D: drive being used for?

Have you intentionally moved/installed/downloaded "stuff" to that drive?

OR, is this your Recovery Partition?

You also state "999 GBs" used. You really mean GBs?

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12

Hi, have you looked at the files on your drive to see whats eating it up, double click on the drive and have a look and why is it called d instead of c as is usual.

Bill

4. janai

janai Thread Starter

I have looked at the files on this drive. I don't know which ones to keep or delete. Sorry about the typo on the GB's. It's 9.99 GB's. All I know is that I have very little free space.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

So, this IS the Recovery Drive??

If so, then having little free space is of no consequence, since there are no files being added to it.

6. janai

janai Thread Starter

But doesn't the space on this drive affect how the computer operates? If it's full, doesn't it slow the computer down?

7. nessyguin

nessyguin

No , it has no effect on performance . It is totally inactive unless you invoke it to rescue your system . Your solution is to instal another bigger hard drive ...

8. janai

janai Thread Starter

Oh. I didn't know it was that simple. This is good news. I thought that maybe my computer was going to crash because of this.

9. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Are you using the built-in Windows Backup Utility, or some other backup program? If the Recovery Partition has been assigned a drive letter, backup programs will default to that drive as it's best to store your backup on a different drive. This quickly fills up the partition, then the low disk space warnings start (if they haven't been disabled).

If the backup is running on a schedule, your backups may not be being made as the disk is full. Different backup programs will handle this differently. Some will delete older backups to make space for the current one, others will simply log an error in the Event Viewer (or possibly only in their own log file) and quit, especially if you are doing incremental backups.

It doesn't really hurt anything, but if you think you have backups being made, you might be very disappointed if you ever need to use it.

Most recovery partitions are set to have approx 15% free space to avoid the Low Disk Space warning, so you may have originally had 1-2 GB free on that partition.

You may want to look in there and see just what files are present. Best to set your view settings to show everything:

To change View Settings
    In Windows Explorer, click on Tools | Folder Options -> View Tab
    Check the following:
    Display the contents of system folders (not present in Win2K/Vista)
    Show hidden files and folders
    Uncheck the following:
    Hide extensions for known file types (WinXP/Vista)
    Hide file extensions for known file types (Win2K)
    Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Change to Details view in My Computer/Windows Explorer by clicking on View | Details and see what is on the D: drive, and particularly when the files were created. Files dated after you received the PC were probably not meant to be there. Just don't delete/move anything you are not absolutely sure is safe to delete. If necessary, post a screen shot of the File Listing and someone can possibly identify any files you aren't sure about.

HTH

Jerry

10. janai

janai Thread Starter

Hey. I'm trying to change the settings as you suggested, but I don't have a view tab under internet options. What do I do now?

11. janai

janai Thread Starter

Many of my programs and settings changed when I made the mistake of allowing a friend to install Windows XP on my computer when it was originally bought with Vista installed. So now I have XP and Vista on my computer. Maybe, that's causing a lot of issues, huh?

12. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer; Folder Options, not Internet Options

To open Windows Explorer do any of the following:
    Press Winkey+E
    Right click My Computer and click Explore
    Start | All Programs | Accessories >Windows Explorer

XP and Vista can co-exist. Biggest problem is finding XP drivers for new systems as many just plain don't exist.
    Installing XP after Vista requires a bit of repair to the Vista bootloader so both will be available, but once that's done should be able to boot to either.

Jerry

13. janai

janai Thread Starter

Ok. I found it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/760132

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice