1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to get data off old hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by misstweety, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. misstweety

misstweety Thread Starter

Need to get data off old hard drives.

I have a dozen old hard drives going back ten years (most of them are ide 3.5", some sata, and a few are laptop hard drives). I've tried to access them through my Vista laptop with one of those USB drive adapters. None of them were recognized, even in disk management (which cancels out the common tip I've come across through Googling to create a drive letter). The USB adapter is supposed to work with Vista. I also made sure to set the jumpers correctly, but still no good results.

I'm thinking the only way I'll be able to acces them is if I buy a desktop computer and hook them up that way. I heard some other person with this problem say that the USB adapter didn't work, and they had to hook the drives up internally in a desktop computer.

I'd like to not have to take this route, since I don't have access to a desktop at the moment. Maybe the USB adapter is defective? Any ideas?

My specs:

ASUS M50VM-B1
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz
    3 GB RAM
    Vista SP1, 32-BIT
    GEForce 9600M GS, 1 GB

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

3. misstweety

Thanks crjdriver, but what would make this more likely to be effective than using the USB adapter?

It would be worth trying out, rather than buying a more expensive used desktop, so I may go that route if I can't find any other solutions.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have had no problem using an external enclosure with both vista and win7. Mine also will accept both sata and ide type drives.

If you use an ide type drive, then almost always the jumper needs to be set as master. Do read the instructions that come with the enclosure however since in some rare instance the jumper might need to be set as CS or whatever.

5. misstweety

Thanks!

6. wfwsew

wfwsew

I have a drive that was formatted on xpthat my vista machine would not recognize, in fact it locked up my laptop and I had to reboot it.It was recognized my desktop xp machine. it is an ide drive and I used the same usb enclosure. it has something with the way xp and vista is formatted i think. hope this helps.

frank

7. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I have to think its a defective USB adapter because the type of hard drive ceases to be an issue when hooked up to USB--they're all USB mass storage devices and if they are powered correctly and at least initilalized drives, they should show up unless there's a problem with USB detection on the computer, or the USB adapter is wonky.

Try it out on another system if possible and see if works there.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice