1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to get my files back

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by dougfury, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougfury

dougfury Thread Starter

My slave drive running Win98 had some bad links corrected by the Master hard drive running Win2000Pro and turned all my files on the slave drive to ".000" extensions. The slave drive is still using the same amount of space so the information is still on it but I need to convert all of these ".000" files back to something useable. Would something like "GetDataBack" file recovery be any good, or are these files and programs gone forever. :confused:

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

How is it that this happened in the first place? Did Win2000 do this "automatically"? Did it get the system files of the Win98? Is that drive still bootable?

3. dougfury

dougfury Thread Starter

win2000 corrected the links automatically, i can only view the slave through 2000 it fails to boot on its own.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I don't suppose you have a back-up of this drive?
    or a previously installed program like Go-Back?

5. dougfury

dougfury Thread Starter

Unfortunately there is no back up or go back to help me, the 98 hard drive was my backup for the 2000hard drive. The damage was somehow done on boot up when the master hard drive found inconsistecies on the fat32 system. I didnt scan the drive the first time it came up with this message, but then the slave drive became unreadable and was causing the master hard drive to run extremely slow. It didnt then give me an option to continue correction or not and converted all of the files.

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

You can see the file names, but the extensions are wrong?

I have never seen such a thing.
    I run a system with WinXP and WinME on seperate drives and have never had any kind of conflict.

It's not much help, but if you can see the file names, can you try to "rename" one that you know the right extension for? like a .jpg image or something. Just to see if it works? It would be tedious and slow....but it may recover some things.

Sorry...........that is all I can think of :(

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice