1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to increase paging file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tushkahoma, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

I am running W2K and keep getting an error message upon startup telling me to increase the paging file. I have been unsuccessful in doing this in the system properties under the advanced tab. Can I do this in the registery?

2. tushkahoma

tushkahoma Thread Starter

An extra note on this, when I right click on the properties of my computer I also get this message from System Control Panel Applet.......Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than the size you specified.

3. larswebb

larswebb

I'm having the exact same problem with my system. Could this be caused by a MS Update?

P4 2.53
    Win2K

4. coorrel

coorrel

Go to my computers=>control panel=>system=>advanced tab=>performance options=>change (around 400-750 would be fine...
    By the way i got no idea what im talking about... but it might help...:D

5. WindowWizard

WindowWizard

Is your system Dual booting with another OS? All versions of MS windows use the same name for the page file and the same default location. If you have windows setup to control the size of the page file in one OS it could be leaving the file in a larger size than another version expects.. Thus it assumes its corrupt.

If you have more than 1 HD I would create a new page file for one or the other of your OS's and place it on the second drive.

6. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

Check to see that you have at least 500MB of free HD space.

(just a hunch)

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First off are you logged in as admin or an account with admin rights? If so, go to control panel>system>advanced>performance options>virtual memory>change. Set it for what ever you want, I prefer a fixed size for the paging file. Make sure you click “set” when you are finished setting the size. Now restart and you are good to go. Make sure you have enough space on your hd.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!