Need to install windows with a broken laptop screen

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

UnknwomLoveBuzz

It is a dell, i have windows 10 on it already. It some how corrupted and now I can't see with the hdmi, so I need to either revert windows or reinstall it.

Is there any way I can do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(And I'm not replacing the laptop screen as this is a temporary thing while my pc parts get here.)

Couriant

James
I am not sure on the actual issue here.... you said you are waiting for PC parts... is this for the HDMI issue?

If it's a hardware issue, then reverting Windows to the original state will not help.

It is a dell, i have windows 10 on it already. It some how corrupted and now I can't see with the hdmi, so I need to either revert windows or reinstall it.

Is there any way I can do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(And I'm not replacing the laptop screen as this is a temporary thing while my pc parts get here.)
Hi uknkwomLoveBuzz, We are a little confused. You stated "I'm not replacing the laptop screen as this is just a temporary thing." May I ask what computer parts are arriving. Are you receiving an external monitor for your laptop that you can plug in? I'm not sure what you mean.

If you are requesting information about how to view your screen while reinstalling your OS, you may be able to plug an external monitor into your laptop. You can use just about any external monitor as long as your laptop contains the monitor connector. Do you have an external monitor? If so James will probably move your thread to hardware since your intentions would be to connect an external monitor and it is considered hardware.

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As I read it, the OP had been using an external monitor via HDMI and thinks that a Windows corruption issue has disabled that ability.

Further, the parts (s)he awaits is to build, or repair, a desktop system to replace this ailing laptop, hence the desire to refrain from spending $$ on the replacement of the LCD.

Just an educated guess.

TerryNet

Terry
I read it the same way Mark explained--the pc parts are for a different PC.

And while Windows (with the proper settings) will display on an HDMI connected external monitor the BIOS/UEFI of a laptop will not (at least not all of them).

So, the issue I think is how to see enough to boot to recovery or installation media.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online