1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to install XP from a USB drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GSRDPM, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GSRDPM

GSRDPM Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook running Windows XP and picked up a virus recently that kept turning Norton 360 off and locking up the screen in a few minutes. Ithere's nothing important saved on hte computer so I wish to format the drive and start over, but it has no optical drive so I want to se if I can boot from a USB, but I am confused how to do make it happen. I tried using win2flash and temporarily caught the deltasearch adware/spyware during that setup. (I think I have that sorted out....we'll see....) Anyway, I'm afraid to do anything else right now without help from a source I trust. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

2. Wepynx

Wepynx

I would start a threat in the Virus and Malware Removal forum before trying anything, just to be sure your system is virus free.

3. GSRDPM

GSRDPM Thread Starter

My thought in posting this here was that:

1. I had already tried to install windows XP onto the USB but instead it seems as though I just installed it onto a new partition on the hard drive. When I tried to format the C drive, it said that the format was unable to be completed successfully (after almost 30 minutes of waiting).

2. I have changed the boot order to try to boot from the USB (Obviously that did not work...) and I cannot boot into any safe mode option.

3. Attempting to start in any safe mode results in a blue screen.

4. Shutting down results in a blue screen.

5. Letting the computer boot up normally results in a sequence of norton 360 being turned off as soon as the desktop appears and eventually the screen goes blank with a button to press "submit" being the only thing visible. If the submit is clicked, there is a pop-up message that states that I have 72 hours to pay a fine.

In short, I though that between the infection, my questionable reinstallation,, my altering the boot sequence, the hit or miss booting up and multiple blue screens, that it would be easier to format and reinstall and troubleshoot the infection, if it were still present, on a computer that would not lock up on me within seconds upon booting up.

If it is still better to post this on the Virus and Malware forum, then that's what I will do.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. GSRDPM

GSRDPM Thread Starter

Unfortunately, none of the three links for the initial zip file are working. Do you know of any other sites for the download?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice