1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to keep repairing network connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by woodman2002, Nov 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. woodman2002

woodman2002 Thread Starter

My connection indicator says that it is connected and signal strength is excellent. About every five minutes, however, I can't connect (indicator stays the same). I need to "repair" it and then it works fine. Until the same thing happens again a short time later.

What is the cause? How can I fix it??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Causes could be wireless interference, router problem, driver problem, multiple wireless utilities running, malware problem, etc.

3. woodman2002

Thanks for the reply, Terry. I have been working on some of these possible causes. I removed some possible wireless interference sources. I re booted the router after waiting a few minutes, and then re booted the computer. I will try to re-install the driver. My security software hasn't spotted any malware that could be causing a problem.

I'll keep working at it.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Tell us your router, operating system, wireless adapter and what wireless utility you use and we may be able to help more.

5. woodman2002

Terry,

My router is an SMC Barricade, 7004VWBR, operating system is Windows XP, Wireless adapater is Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN minir-card, wireless utility is Windows utility.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Since you are using XP's WZC make sure the Dell WLAN utility is not also running. I think it runs as a service, as WZC does (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

7. woodman2002

Thanks, Terry, I'll check to make sure that the Dell utility is not running. I'll let you know what I find.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/767625