1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Need to move/save Outlook pst file and folders

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by masconomo, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. masconomo

masconomo Thread Starter

OK -- so I get this email from my company telling me that they want everybody to get rid of their emails older than 6 months and they will be discontinuing the pst archive folders. But I want to save all my old emails. I'm not sure what the best way to do that is, or, how to do it. I can I move the pst with all my emails (from the latest autoarchive) to my external HD? Will the format and attachments be there with this move. Or perhaps I can backup in some way like a dvd. Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. pinntech

pinntech

Sure, you can copy (recommended) or even move your PST files to any device you want to put it on. I would strongly recommend an external hard drive. The reason for this is that if you need to access the archive later on, you don't really want to have to keep putting in a CD or DVD to access it.

Now, my questions are….

Where are you archives currently stored? Are they on a server drive or are they stored locally on your desktop computer?

The reason I am asking is that normally administrators will not “put pressure” on users to remove older emails if they are not stored directly in Exchange or the archives are not stored on a server drive. I.e. they are trying to free up either space or prevent Exchange boxes from getting too large.

You may also want to check with your admins to see if it is okay to copy the archives. If your archives are stored on a server drive, you may want to ask the admins if it is okay to setup auto-archiving to go to your local PC or to your external hard disk drive instead of the server drive. Of course, then you would be responsible for backing up and securing the archives and not the admins.

Thanks!

Shane

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

You might want to check with the company lawyers. Those emails are not yours; they are the company's. If it can be shown that any archives, backups, or saved .pst's exist, that opens the door to complete discovery.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think you should talk to your IT department about backing up your email. They should be able to provide you with the details hwo to do that if they allow that. Some companies are very strict on such matters and we shouldn't assist you with such matters. FOr the reason that this is a business computer I think this thread needs to be closed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804714

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice